My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, February 1, 2013

Tweet Tweet

I signed up for Twitter a while back but I haven't actually tweeted yet. Not sure how. Not sure how to follow anybody either. I suppose I should look into that as I might be missing something good.

I made a trip to the library to return a couple books and several audio books. Decided not to check anything else out now as I do have plenty on my bookshelves already.  I did keep one on the biography of Mary MaCarthy (author) as she went to school in Seattle and this book is devoted to those years. It's kind of interesting reading about a teenager in those days.

I've been trying to use up various food stuffs in the house before heading to the grocery store to restock the shelves.  Thinking seriously of heading down the Dr. Atkins diet road but I need to dispose of "bad stuff" first.  One of the thing I found (which isn't actually bad and could easily be used on Atkins) was a can of chum mackeral.
Doesn't look all that appetitizing but I mixed in various ingredients and made a meat loaf out of it. I'm sure I bought it depending to eat healthier. I usually end up reverting back to old favorites but I try.  I mixed in onion, grated potato, oatmeal, bread crumbs, egg, lemon juice, tumeric, and sweet and sour sauce.  (Was making it up as I went along)

My trip to the library was mainly just to get out of the house.  I had signed on to ancestry.com at breakfast time and next thing I knew it was afternoon and I was having problems moving.  ha ha  Will I never learn?!  The twins are here now.  Jen often works later on Fridays which I assume is why they decided to come by. I asked them why they came over and they said just because they wanted to.
That's nice.  They both got a sack of goodies at school for some project they completed. One that Maddie got was a head dress that lights up.  I modeled it for her. (you can't see the lights, though)
 
BTW, they're selling magazine subscriptions for school.  You can renew ones you already have too.
Hunter says to go to the Stevens Middle School website and click on the link on the right hand side that says: Parents...shop online and help our school.  AND THANK YOU!  (you also have to designate if it's for Hunter or Madelyn Dougherty)
 
I've been taking a little extra time studying on the ancestry website on how best to find the information I'm looking for.  I was surprised at how much there is to learn.  A ton of things to help that I was completely unaware of.  I did find a story on my grandpa's brother and their dad.  My dad was named after grandpa's brother, John.  I already had some info on John and Lillie (I have pictures of them visiting the Kuhn house) but I didn't have a lot on grandpa's dad, Lewis Marion. I found out he was a sheriff at one point.  It read:
 
Of the successful and highly respected farmers of the vicinity of Creswell,
Lane county, none is more highly regarded than J. A. Blankenship, who is
operating one hundred and seventy-six acres of well improved and highly
productive land. He follows twentieth century methods and keeps in close touch
with advanced ideas in relation to his vocation, so that he has well deserved
the prosperity which is now his.
 Mr. Blankenship was born in Illinois on the 30th of November, 1865 and is a
son of L. M. and Jane (Downs) Blankenship.
 His father came to Oregon in an early day and located near Independence, where he
rented a farm, and there he and his wife spent their remaining years, her death
occurring in 1898 and he passing away in 1911. He was a successful farmer and
stock raiser and was held in high esteem throughout the community. He was a
veteran of the Civil war and while living in Illinois served several years as
assessor and sheriff.

 J. A. Blankenship attended the public schools of his native state and in young manhood went to Tennessee, and later located in Kansas, where, at the age of twenty-one years, he took up a
 homestead. He proved up on this land, which he operated for seven years, when he sold it and, in
1888, went to Colorado, where he was employed in the cattle business two years.
He then returned to Illinois and later came to Oregon, where he has since lived.
While living in Kansas, he was for a time employed as a driver of street cars in
Kansas City, the motive power being a team of mules. He is now the owner of a
good farm of one hundred and seventy-six acres near Creswell, to the operation
of which he has closely devoted himself. He has ten acres in prunes, five acres
in cherries and one and a half acres in pears, all of which are in full bearing.
He also keeps twelve head of milk cows and three head of horses.
 
On August 29, 1886, Mr. Blankenship was united in marriage to Miss Lillian
Thomason, a daughter of Henry and Mary (Sanders) Thomason, farmers. To Mr. and
Mrs. Blankenship have been born five children, namely:
 Juanita I., born January 2, 1898, is the wife of Arthur Schmidli, of Medford, Oregon;
Hallie F., born September 22, 1900, is a graduate in art; Cecile F., born April 30, 1902, is the
wife of Clay M. Stone, of Creswell, and they have two children, Margaret and
John;
Ivan A., born July 6, 1905, is now in Washington, and
John E., born March 7, 1915, is attending school at Creswell. Mrs. Blankenship is a member of the Daughters of Rebekah, the Civic Improvement Club of Creswell, the Presbyterian church and the Parent-Teacher Association. Mr. Blankenship is a republican in
his political affiliation and belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of the Maccabees.
While living in Umatilla county he served as a school director and clerk of the school board. He keeps in close touch with public affairs, being a close and studious reader, and maintains well-defined
opinions on the great questions of the day. He stands ready at all times to cooperate in all movements for the betterment of the community and is regarded by his fellow men as one of its best citizens.
This is John who looks a lot like my grandpa Gene.
 
 
    
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment