My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Quiet Thursday

I spent the morning scanning obituaries in my file notebook and then proceeded to scan some photos. Been wanting to post various things on my Family Tree on Ancestry so that others can see it and hopefully, I'll hear from other "cousins" working on the same lines.  I had 15 obits of family members and I finally stopped scanning after 26 photos.  Thankfully, I can still access my tree when I decide to cancel my subscription.

One thing I've learned is to study the pictures closely that I've only glanced at before.  Clues are to be found.  Like this one...

 
My notes (which I don't know who they came from) identified some of the people as:
Bertha Fotland Holt, 2nd from left, Arlie Holt (I assume the next guy over) and the two on the right are my grandparents, Viola Mae Holt and Lew Gene Blankenship.  I assume that's correct because it looks just like my grandpa and the Viola Mae picture looks a lot like my Aunt Velna. Since Viola and Lew married in 1903, I assume this picture is the early 1900's. Probably in the Oak Harbor area.
 
Eventually, I'll get on over to my grandmother's side of the family and research them.  I've already got a lot of notes to start with. I know, for example, that Bertha was born the same year as my grandpa but she was born in a sod shanty in Minnesota.  Can't wait to get into that research.
 

Well, not much else going on around here. Gotta go see the doctor in a couple hours and pick Maddie up at basketball practice at 5.  Here's a couple more tips.....


 
I was googling various places I'd come across on my searches and found this short video on the Smeede Hotel in Eugene which my great uncle Jake Stark operated in 1910.
 


And I guess I can mark another one up for my dumbness.  I suspected I shouldn't have put my popcorn topper top on the bottom shelf of the dishwasher.  It's still usable (I think) but I'm very annoyed at myself for the crack I managed to put it in.  I don't know why I can't listen to my common sense side at least once in a while.

My AARP Magazine arrived yesterday and for some reason, I found it very boring.  Perhaps I've reached that stage of life where I pretty much know it all.    Yeah, that's probably it.

No comments:

Post a Comment