My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Ebay, blogging, and television

I was feeling a little under the weather yesterday but thankfully, whatever the bug was floating around in there seems to have moved on and I'm back among the living.  Just finished looking over the tv lineup for tonight and it looks like I'm going to have to use both VCRs for taping. 

Mr. D is on at 8 along with The Middle. Modern Family is on at 9 along with Law and Order and then The Americans is on at 10. Was also kind of wanting to tape a 1931 movie on Turner Classics (Bride of Frankenstein) but I guess I'll have to pass on that one.  Last night I taped a couple hours of the Discovery channel -- Dual Survivor and Africa.

I posted on my two Leader blogs and helped Hunter mail off a large box via FedX.  Yvonne had given him this queen size styrofoam headboard with a lot of decorations so we posted in on Ebay several weeks ago.  I didn't really expect to get any bites even though we made it "free shipping."  Much to my surprise, it sold.  We learned another lesson on selling via ebay. If you're going to have 'free shipping' you'd best make the price high enough to warrant it. 

The box was very lightweight but it was 33" high and 24" wide.  To send it via the post office was almost $200.  Even though it weighed just ten pounds.  FedX was much cheaper and the lady at the shipping center downtown helped me prepare it for mailing. (I had printed the mailing label at home)
The cost was $39 but since the buyer had paid $90, Hunter was still able to see a nice profit. Ebay took about $3 for their share.

There is a learning curve when using Ebay but if you take your time, it's a good way to make money. Hunter has done quite well and if you learn how to use your computer to print your postage and take advantage of the free shipping supplies at the post office, you can unload items you don't need.  Heard the post office is stopping Saturday deliveries now. About time.  They could stop another day too and save us all the hassle when they keep raising the price of postage stamps.

I have a new hero this morning. Dade County Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriquez-Chomat. Google him and watch the video.  Did my heart good to see that spoiled brat sent to jail.

Well, I guess I'll throw a load in the washing machine and get to work on the next round of genealogy searches. Been trying to find out more about my great grandfather working as a sheriff in Illinois but I've hit a brick wall for the time being so I'm backing up and tracking down each of his children and their spouses and children and grandchildren.  Sometimes the information you want is found by going in the back door.  Like looking at who your relative's neighbors were when they were living in a certain part of the US.  Thankfully, there are a lot of people using their computers to research family history so you can connect with others and share what you have or what you're looking for.

There are a lot of free websites to use if you don't want to pay for a subscription service. And a ton of videos on YouTube to help you navigate. Here's a little video about the Morman website. I use it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment