My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Halfway Thru February already

I can see blue sky outside my window but there was rain on the deck earlier. I guess mother nature will pick a little of everything to entertain us today. I don't care what's on her agenda 'cause I plan to hunker down inside.  Yesterday was my 'running around day.' Got up early for an 8:15 a.m. appt with a doctor in Sequim.

Stopped to visit a friend in Green Acres and then made a quick Walmart run before heading home for breakfast.  At 1 pm I picked the twins up at school and drove them to the ferry in Kingston.  Maddie was all excited because she got to spin this wheel (for selling six magazine subscriptions) and she won $50.  Hunter also got to spin and he won a $10 Itunes gift certificate. 

I got to the ferry early enough to drive thru McDonalds. Maddie was tickled that they had shamrock milk shakes. They walked on the ferry pulling their little suitcases on wheels and Catie picked them up in Edmonds. Today they'll see the Harlem Globetrotters and visit a rock wall climbing place.

I started tidying up paperwork and one thing led to another. I cleaned out excess medical papers (I save way too much of that junk) and then cleaned up other little nooks and crannys.  Amazing how quickly old envelopes, notes, pictures, newspaper articles, etc. can overrun your working area.

I had some old pictures (really old) that I wanted to get copies of so I scanned them with my old scanner so I could play around with the image more before trying to get a reprint.  I had one of my dad eating ice cream as a boy and I wanted to zoom in on the calendar behind his head.  My settings wouldn't quite let me pinpoint down as much as I wanted, but I'm pretty sure that this is Nov 1937 in the Kuhn St. house. That's the only month where a Monday is on the 1st,  and there are 30 days in the month. If it's not 1937, it's April 1940. Here's the two views I have.

 
 
I've studied these pictures a lot. The top one is how the room actually looked. Not sure how the bottom one got made backwards. Must have something to do with the way it was developed.  That's always puzzled me. The top photo shows my dad in the white shirt sitting in the back. The bottom photo shows his twin standing on the left.  They appear to be 14 years old to me and that would make my cousin, Bob, standing on the left (in the top picture) about 10.  Claude is sitting on the chair in front and he would about 8 or 9. I was  hoping to get a good zoom on the picture hanging over the window but I just couldn't make my settings do the trick.
 
I do know that picture hanging over my Dad's head, though. It was in our house growing up and I eventually gave it to my cousin, Sue, because it was a picture her dad had given to his mom.

Here are three pictures Mary sent me today of activities her and Andy are taking the kids to. This is the Fremont troll under the Aurora Bridge.


 
I got some neat "tips" in my email yesterday and if I can remember, I'll share one each time I post.
Thanks Rose Johnson....
 
 
And here's some British humor that Linda Farina sent me..
 



These are classified ads which were actually placed in U.K. newspapers:

FREE YORKSHIRE TERRIER.
8 years old, Hateful little bastard.  Bites!
 
FREE PUPPIES
1/2 Cocker Spaniel, 1/2 sneaky neighbor's dog.

FREE PUPPIES. Mother is a Kennel Club registered German Shepherd.
Father is a Super Dog, able to leap tall fences in a single bound.

Also compliments of Linda (this one gave me the heebie jeebies)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment