My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, February 3, 2013

It's Super Bowl Time

I used to follow football a lot more in the 80's. Not so much these days.  I'll still stop to watch now and again if I come across a game but I don't tune in special.  I do watch the Superbowl but I suppose it's more for the commercials and entertainment. Although the entertainment hasn't been that great the past few years.  And how hard is it to find somebody who can sing the national anthem? Apparently, harder than we know.

I looked over the tv lineup for today and tonight. I'll watch Downton Abbey, of course, but the only other thing I found was a two-hour special on the Godfather movies.  I love everything related to The Godfather. Here's some quotes that will stand the test of time...

... a man who doesn't spend time with his family cannot be a real man ...
... come on, you think I'd make my sister a widow?
... I don't know what to do ... ... you can act like man!
... that's my family Kate, not me ...
... I'll make you an offer you can't refuse ...
... keep your friends close, and your enemies closer ...
... leave the gun, take the cannollis ...
 
... if anything in this life is certain ... if history has taught us anything ... is that you can kill anyone
... every time I get out, they keep on bringing me back in ...
“For justice, we must go to Don Corleone
“May their first child be a masculine child
“Ah, that little farce you played with my sister. You think that would fool a Corleone?“
“All right. This one time I’ll let you ask me about my affairs
“Fredo, you’re my older brother and I love you. But don’t take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever.”

“Mikey, why don’t you tell that nice girl you love her?”
“In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns
“Do you know how naïve you sound, Michael? Presidents and senators don’t have men killed.”
“It’s not personal, Sonny. It’s strictly business.”
 
More trivia....Meryl Streep was involved with John Cazale (guy on the right) for 7 years before he died of bone cancer. I'd like to see the documentary on  his life called "I knew it was you."

Also noticed that The Music Man is scheduled on Turner Classics at 5 o'clock. I think I'll tape that. MM is one of my favorite musicals ever.  Last night I watched "The Americans". It's on Wednesdays I think. About soviet spys living in the US in the 50's.  REALLY GOOD!  I'm sure it was fashioned after the success of Homeland.  I bought the first season and have been watching it slowly to make it last as season 2 is too expensive and I'll have to wait a while to purchase it.  I watched two episodes last night but forced myself to go to bed at midnight and save the rest for tomorrow.

Gotta get back to work on genealogy now. I printed up my notes on Lewis, my great grandfather and have about six pages worth.  Still have more to find, though.  Census listings are one thing; I want stories about his life as a sheriff or when he worked for his daughter in her hotel.  There's a lot of info online going back to the 1700's on Blankenships but I'm more interested in the mid 1860's to the present.

One thing I'm especially interested in learning is what mode of transportation my relatives used to get from Illinois in 1892 over to Oregon.  Truck, mule or horse-pulled wagon, train?  More research....
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment