My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Names in your Life

Have you ever noticed that certain names seem to be a part of your life?  Take John, for example.  One of my grandpa's (the guy who adopted my mother) was named John. My dad is John, my brother is too although we call him Les. My dad was named after his uncle John. I married a John.  We have Lillians too.  My grandma (who adopted my mom) was Lillian but they called her Lilly. My dad's uncle John was married to a Lilly and my dad's twin brother married a Lillian.  We always called her Lillian, though; never Lilly.  My brother married a Lillian but we call her Lill. Dana calls her The Nutmeg Gal.

As I continue on my ancestry search, every day brings more surprises.   I started sending messages to people on Facebook named John Blankenship.  I was hoping to find a relative of my dad's Uncle John and Aunt Lilly.  Happily, I hooked up with a guy in Olympia, whose grandparents just happened to be my "John and Lilly."  He was nice enough to give me a handwritten will he had of Lilly's. Needless to say, I was thrilled! 

I have had this old postcard forever and always hoped I could find out who the picture on the front was. I suspected it was Lilly although it wasn't signed.  The card was sent to my grandpa and grandma when they lived in Oak Harbor. It was dated June 10, 1909 from Goldendale, WA.  Once I was able to study the handwriting on the will, I discovered that Lilly had indeed sent this postcard picture of herself.

She wrote:

Dear Bro & Sis,

Received postcard of the babes. Many thanks and I send you a squinty one of myself. Tell Gene his old mare brought a pretty colt and it was doing fine and some of the horses kicked it and killed it. John brought it and the mare down but they could not save it. They had to milk her several times but she is alright now. How is your garden? Crops poor here. So dry. John started to the valley this morning. I wanted to go so bad too. Write for I am busy sewing and don’t take time.
 
And here she is...
I have a couple other pictures of this particular aunt as she visited in Port Townsend at Grandpa's house back in 1951.  I didn't remember her, of course, but I'd often hear dad mention "Aunt Lilly."
 
My cousin Bonnie in Bellingham has been working with me to try and get our old family portrait ID'd.  This is what we're thinking right now....
 
Well, it's time for Wheel of Fortune so I'll cut this short.  Went to the doctor this afternoon to see if she could figure out what's causing these dang headaches day after day.  Said she's leaning towards TMJ.  I'd been diagnosed with that a few years ago and kind of forgot.  I was told then if I was grinding my teeth in my sleep at night, that would cause toothaches and headaches.  Gonna try and use my little rubber mouth guard thingie tonight and see if it helps.

From the crazy activities going on in my dreams lately, I can certainly believe I'm grinding my teeth.
How very annoying. You can't even catch a break in your sleep.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment