My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Grammys

Sat down to watch The Grammys that I had taped from Sunday night. I was prepared to FF through most of it but was pleasantly surprised that the only thing I zipped through were the commericals and some of the rap.  Probably one of the better music programs I've seen in a long time.

I had to rerun a section more than once when I didn't catch the singer or group's name and found I liked them enough to go back and listen again.  My favorite was 'Stay' by Rihanna and Mikky Ekko.
I also loved Kelly Clarkson's tribute to Patti Page, Carrie Underwood's ballad (and fascinating dress), a new group called Fun, Alicia Keyes singing with Maroon 5, Mumford & Sons, Justin Timberlake, and everybody who sang in the finale tribute to Levon Helm of The Band -- especially Mavis Staples and Brittany Howard of Alabama Shakes.

You should YouTube some of these people if you're unfamiliar with them. Good entertainment.  I even enjoyed the memorials.  But then I'm always interested in memorials.  Made me kind of sad, though. Especially since a lot were popular in my day.

Here's the performance by Rihanna that I liked.....


My plans for today are pretty much ditto of yesterday.  Having so much fun with the genealogy. I worked on my grandpa's brother, James Summer and finally found more listings for him in the census rolls. Sometimes if you search using different spellings, you get hits. I used "J.S. Blankenship and found two references I didn't have before.

1900 census: PeEll, Lewis Co, WA  (not sure if this is our James cause the birthdate is off but they often are)Since it had his mother listed as being born in Delaware, I thought there was a good chance.
Blenkenship, James, lodger, IL IL DE
Mar 1871, 29, fireman’s engineer

1910 census: Mason Co, Dayton, WA
Blankenship, James, 43, logger, lodger, single

1920 census: Coos Co, Bunker Hill, OR
Blankenship, James, single, lodger, fireman in power plant

 1930 census: Beatty, Klamath Co, OR
Blankensap, J.S., 61, laborer at USIS sawmill camp

1935: lived in Siskiyou County, possibly Yreka; May have done gold mining

1940 census: Eureka, Humboldt
442 Broadway, Eureka
Renter, finished 8th grade
 
1949: died in Eureka at the age of 82

I'm reading a couple books in bed at night and enjoying both of them -- A mystery about golf called  "Where have all the birdies gone" by Aaron & Charlotte Elkins (he lives in Sequim) and a 1959 novel by Arthur Hailey called "The Final Diagnosis."

Well, the dryer just finished so guess I'll put fresh sheets on the bed and vacuum around the floor by the headboard.  I was suffering miserably with sinusitis yesterday and was sure a head cold was in the works, but I suspect now it's just a sinus infection. You can usually tell right away if a cold is going to lay you low. I'm still sneezing  and stuffed up so I think I'll run to the store and see if I can't find a decongestant. I also intend to stand over a pan of hot steam. Sometimes the old remedies can nip it in the bud.

And here's three more cute dog photos...


No comments:

Post a Comment