My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, February 7, 2013

More genealogy

Yesterday I spent hours browsing on Ancestry.com and fixing up my notes.  I'm working on the children of my great uncle John, who is a brother of my grandpa Gene.  Found an obit for his daughter, Hallie, who died in San Francisco after committing suicide. Also found the bill from the funeral home.

Casket              $255
Outside box    $25
Embalming      $25
Service              $25
Tax                     $4.35
Ambulance
To ferry             $1
Railway
Expense            $44.51
Newspaper
Notice               $9
Misc                  $1

                      ______

Total          $398.86

 Apparently her body was shipped to Albany on the train. A cousin in  Olympia (who I haven't met yet but hope to someday) IDd some people in an old picture I've had and I think now that the picture was taken at the funeral for Hallie.  I also found out that one of the sons changed his name because he didn't get along with the mother.
1946 in Shedd, OR
 
Hallie's newspaper obit was attached to the funeral bill so I was able to retype it up as well.
She worked for Borden Printing Co as a commercial artist. I'll have to research them but I remember my Aunt Velna telling me she worked for Family Circle Magazine.

Maddie called me last night and said she made the varsity basketball team. Like there was any doubt.
She was worried about it, though, and is happy the tryouts are behind her.

Looking forward to my trip to Port Townsend tomorrow. Sounding like we might have a nice turnout for lunch. Good picture opportunity for my blog and Facebook.

Here's that video I talked about yesterday. I knew it would show up on YouTube. It's already had over 2 million hits.  ha ha



No comments:

Post a Comment