My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Ground Hogs Day

It's 8:50 a.m. on this chilly February morning.  The dishwasher is running and I think that is the extent of my housework chores today. What a life!  Right now there's a 1943 movie playing called 'This is the Army.'  Irving Berlin songs about WWI and WWII.  Corny, by today's standards, but still good entertainment.

I looked up Irving and discovered he died on my birthday in 1989. He was 101.  His first wife died just four months after their marriage when she contracted typhoid on their honeymoon.  One of my favorite quotes by him is the remark he made to this daughter about his (2nd) wife's extravagant spending habits.  "I found it was easier to not try and curtail your mother's spending habits. I decided to just make more money."

Also interesting was the fact that Fred Astaire was his best friend and that he was denied a Kennedy Lifetime Achievement honor but in later years, they changed their mind but he was too ill to attend the ceremony so they had to withdraw it. One of the conditions to winning the award is being there to accept it.

It was interesting to see a young Ronald Reagan as an army enlistee. Who would have thought that forty years later, he'd become our President.

A few nights ago I got up about an hour after going to bed as I needed to look up something and knew if I didn't do it, sleep was not coming.  I turned on Jay Leno who was followed by Jimmy Kimmel.  Both are shows I never watch unless I've got insomnia. Jay was finishing up an interview with Piers Morgan. I'm not exactly why but I find Piers annoying and I seldom watch his show because I can't stand to listen to him talk.

I was browsing Facebook this insomnia night and decided to look for new friends. Always fun to scroll down the faces and see people. I ended up picking PT graduates from other classes and one college professor I had at Peninsula.  I'm always on the lookout for new pictures to view and adding to your friends list enables you to do that.

Got a phone call from a former neighbor I had in Green Acres in Sequim. Seems as if another friend is on the way out.  That damn cancer again!  Rose always seemed the healthiest and hardiest of the bunch.  Here we are posing a few months ago. Rose is in back in the yellow. She's a step? or maybe half sister? to a woman I went to school with years ago...Patty Fraker.

Guess I'll head over to the Stevens Middle School website now and see if I can't find a magazine to order for the kids.
http://www.portangelesschools.org/stevens/

After that, it'll be a day of genealogy homework.  Fun stuff!
Tomorrow I'll watch the Super Bowl and later in the week (maybe Thurs, Fri, or Sat) I'll be heading to Port Townsend to browse some shops downtown a bit, take pictures, and  have lunch.  Anybody want to join us?  Linda, Ruth......
John O is coming too.  I'm hoping to head over to the Kuhn Street block to take photos. I met the owner of the big ole house on Grandpa's lot (online) and she's invited me to come by and see the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment