My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Flying the flag today

First thing I did when I got up this morning was retrieve the flag from the garage and hang it out front. I think most people can remember where they were ten years ago today.   It's a sad chapter in our history, that's for sure. I recall my daughter, Mary, was going to England a few weeks after this event and I was very nervous about her flying.  She told me later people on the streets of London expressed their sympathy to her when they heard she was American.

It's been a quiet day so far.  I rearranged my bedroom a little bit. I'm never sure where this need to rearrange as soon as I climb out of bed comes from. I figure I must have been dreaming something or another.  I baked a pan of oatmeal bars an hour or so ago.  Didn't want to heat up the kitchen baking cookies and bars are an easier way to go.  Tasty too. I'd bought some Oreos that were black on one side and white on the other but they didn't appeal to me so I took them over to Jenni's for the kids.

I had two sewing jobs on my agenda. Bathroom curtains and a seat for my campstool.  Both took a lot longer than I figured they would.   Especially the stool.  I ran over to Jenni's to see if Wayne had a tool that would take the bolt off the aluminum stool so I could replace the material. Unfortunately, it was riveted on.  I was able to sew one seam holding the legs up out of the way of the needle but it was a crooked seam and I ended up sewing it wrong side showing.  Typical.

I looked around for my strongest thread and sewed the other seam by hand using a thimble and heavy needle.  My stitches are dreadful and the overall look of the finished seat looks like a kindergarten kid made it.
I really use this stool a lot, though, so I needed this project done and it had to be strong. It's lightweight and just the right height to let me sit down and do low jobs and still get up again. Anyhow, I finished stitching and then slowly sat my big butt down to see if it would hold.  What a scary thing that was!  But it held.  So far anyhow.  I think it should last a while.  The worn seating that ripped out was probably 20+ years old and I got the stool second hand.

Next on my list was to make a curtain for my bathroom. I had this old faded black skirt that I made ten years ago and wore to my 40th reunion.  I loved the material and knew the only thing you could make out of it without ruining the design was a curtain,  blanket or a skirt.  I looked kind of corny wearing it but then I've always had my own sense of fashion, and I thought I looked pretty cool at the time.  Ha Ha


Just discovered a new favorite author--Lisa Scottoline. I just googled her to find out more. I'm listening to "My nest isn't empty, it just has more closet space."

Gotta make a Walmart run tomorrow. Not especially thrilled with that idea but I have to pick up my b/p medicine and a few other odds and ends. Now I'm going to work on my other blog for the Leader--Town Kid.  It's half done so it shouldn't take me too long.  Weatherman says high temperatures today so I'm staying inside near the fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment