My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Riding in the car with twins

Most of the time riding in the car with my grandkids is entertaining.  Not always. Somedays I want to stop and kick them out on the spot.  Yesterday, though, was entertaining.  Maddie needed to be taken over to her house to retrieve her uniform and equipment for a soccer game at 7 pm. Then I had to drive them to a school where their mom was signing them up for band. She needed to pick up Maddie's clarinet which she's renting for $27 a month because they can't find one to buy that isn't too expensive.  Hunter needs a sax. Anyhow....

A block from their house, I realized I didn't have their house key. Had to turn around and go back. Luckily, it's not that far but I was still irritated. I'm always irritated these days.  I'm blaming it on my foot. (and the fact that I'm old and crabby)  We picked up the needed clothes and ball and then I got confused at exactly where Jefferson School was.  I thought it was across town but as I started to turn the wrong way, they told me:

"No, it's by Albertson's. You know that. Gees, Gramma!"

 (I was headed for Roosevelt--there's five elementary schools in this town and I can't keep them straight!)

On the way, Maddie says:
"Guess what I'm gonna be on halloween this year Gramma?"

"Lady Gaga?"

"What?! Gag me! Why would I be her?!"

Hunter says:  "Yeah Gramma, that would be like being a homeless person."

"What do you mean?"
"You know..A bum."

"A bum? Well, I kinda like Lady Gaga."
"What? You like her? You're weird."

"Oh. I suppose you like Justin Beiber."

"Argh" (from both of them)  NO WAY!
(this kind of pleased me 'cause I think little Justin is a twerp. Reminded me of how they never liked Miley Cyrus either. Another indication that they weren't buying the hype. So proud of them)

I thought I was on a roll so I proceeded with "And I don't like Taylor Swift much either."
This was met with silence.
"Oh, she's okay. I like some of her songs."

Then Maddie proceeded to tell me all these other guys she liked. I'd never heard of any of them.  I thought about bringing Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, or Conway Twitty into the conversation but I knew they'd be bored to tears.

Well, I've been on the computer for about three hours this morning doing this and that and the other.  Am determined to use self control today and occupy myself in other rooms.  Like at the sewing machine.

Woke up with a little nausea. Hope it's not morning sickness.  ha ha ha ha
But more than that, I hope it's not the flu. I've got plans this weekend and don't relish going on an airplane with a tummyache.  But I will.  I'll board with a barf bag if I have to!

No comments:

Post a Comment