My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, September 30, 2011

It's still September

I decided to get up from the computer this morning and run a few errands around town. Didn't really have anything I actually HAD to do but I felt like getting out of the house.  I drove across town to stop at the bread store (one of my favorite shops) and even though I spent less than $3, they let me pick an item from the free rack.  I chose some sesame seed hamburger buns and brought them home to freeze in packages of two.

Then I walked next door to the VCR repair shop to see if the guy felt I should bring my two VCRs in for a cleanup.  He charged $20 a machine and I wasn't sure they really needed cleaning or they were just wearing out.  I was the only one in the store but he made a point of telling me to wait; he'd be right with me. Said it twice but I could see he wasn't doing anything that he couldn't have stopped doing to wait on me.

I didn't like his bedside manner. Kind of talked down to me like I was an idiot.  Some people come across that way and they don't even realize it.  Or they do and they don't care.  He said (in a condenscending tone)  "Well, VCRs are just like cars. You put the key in and it won't start and it could be anything!"  I told him again that both machines were running fine, I just wondered if he could tell me if the tracking problem was because it needed adjustment or was just wearing out.  I guess I should have known I wouldn't get a straight answer. He told me to bring them both in so he could put in his own tape.Getting down to unhook those VCRs from the tv isn't a walk in the park for me so I made a quick exit telling him I'd think it over.

I stopped at the pawn shop (I think PA actually has two or three) to check out their DVD collection. This guy around my age was looking for westerns or  classics (kind of like I was too) and he suggested I just buy a VCR/DVD at Walmart for $50 rather than spend that much on getting them cleaned.  Also told me about this place at my end of town that has a garage sale every weekend and how they have a ton of movies super cheap.  Apparently they buy storage units and hit other yard sales.

I drove out there and was delighted to find a huge barn and another building full of stuff from floor to ceiling. I'll go back on a regular basis.  I bought a movie from her for $1.50 and a stool to use at the kitchen counter for $6.  As I drove on home, I decided to stop at the Airport Nursery to see how much their tulip bulbs were.  They didn't have any so I bought two little goldfish and a pigs ear for Sammy.

As I tried transferring the fish to the big bowl, I dropped them out with the little net and then I couldn't find them swimming inside.  I hunted and hunted and then realized one was still stuck in my net.  Oh dear!  Way to kill the fish before I even get him home.  I guess he'll be okay although I probably gave him a heart attack.

I gave Sammy the pigs ear and he walked around the yard looking for a place to hide it.  When he saw me watching him, he dropped it and moved away like he wasn't interested.  I came back in the house and later I went out and discovered the ear was gone. Part of the fencing I put around the back porch was disturbed and I assume he went under there to hide his treasure for later.  Sometimes he'll do that in the house.  I'll give him a chew bone and he'll try to hide it behind the couch or under a blanket in his bed.  Silly Sammy!
Wayne and the kids stopped by to get their bikes out of the garage. Wayne's on vacation this week and he's taking the kids camping to Sol Duc this weekend. 

Well, I'm feeling mighty tired so I think I'll take a nap.  My ear ringing had let up for a while but alas, it's returned with a vengeance.  Between the issues I have with things on my head and the issues I have with foot problems and knees and hips, there are days when I wonder if I'll ever feel really good again.    Yeah, I know...I'm whining again.  Hate it when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment