My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Birds & Bugs

Here's one of the birds lookin' for worms in my front yard this morning. Noticed a lot of robins in both the front and back. I must be a good place for breakfast.  Every spring and summer the bees move in and make nests under my eaves.  I discourage the practice as they're in my face when I want to sit on the back porch and take in the sun.

Was out in the garage looking for boxes and noticed a heck of a lot of spider webs up high on the garage ceiling. Think I'll see if I can get Hunter to knock them down.  Also checked my fruit tree in the back to see if the caterpillars were still crawling after I squirted them yesterday. They were....so they got another spray.   Trying to remember where I lived when we had a caterpillar problem in the trees off and on. Hmmm....that's odd...thinking back over all the houses I've lived in, I can't for the life of me remember which house had caterpillars. I'm pretty sure I didn't dream it.

Just looked over the TV line-up. Will watch Doc on PBS at 8 pm and tape Independent Lens on PBS at 10 pm.  This afternoon I'm taping a movie on Turner Classics called Battle Cry.  It stars Tab Hunter, among others.  I recently bought his autobiography on half.com and it's pretty well written. I'm enjoying it a lot.  It's called 'Confidential.'

Made up 15 postcards from cute pictures I got in an email recently. Think I'll mail one off this morning. Not too much on the agenda besides the usual---adding a few things to the family history project, working a crossword puzzle, bike riding around the block and up and down the alley, and even though I was going to set aside sewing for a while, I'm finding I kind of miss working on handiwork so I'm going to prepare pieces for another applique wall hanging.  It's relaxing to sit at the kitchen table and work on it while listening to an audio book.

Going to have the twins help me move the patio table from the garage to the back porch this afternoon.  Too cold to sit out there today but I understand the temperatures are rising this week and weekend.  I'm finding that bath shower stool I picked up at Serenity House is just perfect for sitting in the garden to weed and do cosmetic work.  It's sturdy enough to take hold easily and not make me feel like I'm going to tip over, and it's the perfect height for bending down to work and yet being able to push yourself up to stand.  Sure never thought getting out of a chair would be an issue, but then there are a whole lot of things I wasn't expecting at this stage of my life.

Had to call my son-in-law this morning to see if he'd bring over a special tool after work to fix my oven door. Second time the handle has broken off on one side.  Damn nuisance!  I may try to use the oven this morning anyhow as I made up dough for pumpkin cookies. They're quite tasty and easy to make. I put in chocolate chips and walnuts. Similar to my banana cookie recipe.  Well, getting tired so I'd better find an activity that requires movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment