My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, May 11, 2012

Genetics & Being Cool

Poor Maddie.  I think she's a little worried that she might look like Gramma Joyce when she's old.
 ha ha ha ha ha ha

As Jen brought Sammy in this morning, Maddie took her softball clothes to the back bedroom for the practice this afternoon.  As she walked by, I said:  "There goes little Jenni."
She looks at me kind of strange and I tell her:  Well, you do kinda look like your mom;  And when you get older, you'll probably look just like her.  (she seemed a bit downcast)
"What's the matter with that? Your mom is pretty."
"I know...but Hunter is going to look like Grandpa Ed when he's old so that means I'll look like mom who's gonna look like you."
(I'm laughing here)
"No.  You won't necessarily look like me. You have other relatives, you know!"
"Well, then who can I be?"

We left it at that.  I know looks are everything at age "almost 12".  I suppose I should try to get famous doing something special.  Maybe I need to start practicing on that guitar again.  I know music is way UP there in their opinions of cool.  And I'm pretty sure if I had a hot car or truck, Hunter wouldn't have any problems claiming me as his gramma.  Hmmmm...I'm in the drawing for a truck on Mother's Day.  I guess if God wants me to be cool, he'll let my duck win that race.

Okay. On to other interesting aspects of my retirement years.  Took this picture of a spot on my back lawn this morning.

The grass looks nice and green but what is this white spot?  I know it was a tad chilly overnight but it seems strange that only one place would get frosty---if that's what it is.  Mold?  Fungus?  I think I'll go back to Google maps and study my backyard some more.  My block picture hasn't been updated so all the houses on my section of this block don't appear---just vacant lots.  Is fun to zoom in and see what my soil looked like before a house was built.  Yeah, this is my retirement life....looking at dirt.


Yesterday I spent a half hour or more trying to figure out how to print labels. This morning I went to go through the steps again as I needed a label for this guy I send postcards to regularly.  Much to my delight, a whole page popped up with his address on them. (from a previous attempt)  Nice way to start my morning.

It's looking and feeling nice and warm out so I'm going to retrieve my little stool from the garage and start weeding here and there.  I'm also going to try my hand at drawing a picture. I've never been good at art but sometimes you just want to try and be creative.  My plan was to make a wall hanging applique picture of my childhood home.  I think, if I continue to play around with it, that I might be able to do it.  Meanwhile, I want to draw a picture of the house and color it with water paint or colored pencil.

The one picture I have of the front of the house should be easy enough to draw if I take my time.  If anybody wants to draw one for me (I know I have artist friends out there), I'd be thrilled to see your version.  Here's the house....



As I was driving Maddie over to practice, she discovered I had bubble gum in my purse.  She helped herself to a piece and so did Hunter.  On the way home, Hunter told me he's never been able to blow a bubble.  He also told me that Maddie said I was the one who taught her. (I didn't remember this)  So, we practiced and before the afternoon was over, he had managed to produce a bubble.  He was thrilled.  Ahhhh...my job is done here!

I'm heading over to Jen's for Mother's Day dinner on Sunday. I'm taking a mac and cheese recipe that I want to try out. Has peas and spinach in it so the kids will probably turn their nose up, or at the very least, pick out the green stuff.  I know they like mac and cheese.  I'm also taking a pumpkin pie.

I finally broke down and made a doctor appt yesterday. Yvonne and I went over to Walmart and I could barely browse the aisles even pushing a cart. Sciatica I think.  Cut my shopping short and went to sit down to wait for Yvonne.  That whole scenerio has been occurring more and more lately and I keep making excuses or compensating for it by changing the way I go through my routines.  I've been diagnosing myself for so long (and nothing has improved) that I reached that point where I need to get to the bottom of it once and for all.  Age and obesity aside, normal daily activities shouldn't be this hard to get through.  Even standing to wash a sink full of dishes or prepare a meal requires me to sit down before I'm done.

My hope is he'll suggest a round of treatment with a chiropractor but I'm betting instead I'll have to have an MRI.  Just thinking about it gives me the heebie jeebies.  Oh well, they have pills for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment