My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, May 21, 2012

Monday afternoon

I got very little accomplished yesterday. My trip into Port Townsend on Saturday was very tiring. Always surprises me (and irritates) that even day trips can wear me out much quicker these days.  My face  continued to itch and look blotchy and red but I think it's a little better today.  I'm still not as pretty as I want to be but oh well...

I sure have noticed an improvement in my mood and attitude and general mental health since I had that cortisone shot last week.  I know when you're in pain, your patience level with just about everybody and everything takes a nose dive.  At least it did with me.  I feel like I've rejoined the living.  I can go out on errands and chat and smile at people and not be irritated with anybody that moves.  I love that I can walk down steps like I used to, and get in and out of my car without moaning.    I can see how people get addicted to painkillers.

I just whipped through any number of chores this morning.  Changed the sheets, washed a load of laundry, did up dishes, took out trash, worked on my sewing, baked oat bran muffins, ran errands, browsed the library, and did a ton of paperwork.  Once I sat down to address envelopes to mail off reprints for people, I realized I had two graduation cards to address, a birthday card, a post card, and a book to mail.

The library was a busy place.  It usually is.  I love going there.  They were having a book sale today so the lobby was full of browsers.  I didn't buy any this time but I did spend an hour on the microfilm machine.  Once I located it, that is.  They've rearranged the whole place.  Lookin' pretty good too.  I like where the machines are now much better.

Mary Gaboury wanted to know who the little boy was that she was in the kids parade with as a child.
Her mom had made a statue of liberty I think she said; I forget what the boy was.  She's hoping to locate a picture (and to find out the boy's name).  She's thinking possibly Jim Pedersen.  I went through the Rhody articles for 1946-1950  but I never did find her listed.

I have a picture of me and my cousin, Denny, in the kids parade years ago (1951 I think but maybe 1950). I never was sure what the float designated.  Today I found out it was a March of Dimes entry showing a huge reptile chained down, representing the efforts to subdue infantle paralysis.  Now I'll have to go hunt for that picture so I can post it.


Another picture I saw was Gracia Feick. I'll have to email her to go look at this blog.

Well, back to my sewing project now. I picked up 3 or 4 sheets at Goodwill at 50% off as I needed some plain cotton material for my applique designs I'm working on.  I walked out of there with 4 or 5 large sheets and it only cost me $7.

I tried posting a couple of the newspaper articles I saw on the microfilm today but they wouldn't enlarge good enough to read. Maybe I'll just email them to a few folks who I think might enjoy reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment