My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, October 12, 2012

Bird Watchin' Today

Birds are busy in the neighborhood today.  I'm betting this rain is a delight, bringing up worms and such.  I kept noticing increased activity near the bottom of my window and then I discovered that my "newly filled" birdfeeders were knocked over.  I'll reserve judgement one more night before deciding it was the deer.  Could have been piggy bluejays, crows, or just plain ole rain softening up the soil.
At any rate, I lost a lot of seed to the ground, making my place an easy eating area this morning.
I noticed the neighbor's cat has found the view interesting too what with all the sweeping and flying around in the air.  I'm sure she's wishing she had a way to get out here.


I'm taking it easy today. Just threw a load of laundry in the dryer and that will be the extent of housework. I'll finish up one of my journal transciption projects this morning and start on the second diary next Monday.

 I might set up a jigsaw puzzle in the kitchen since I rearranged a bit and have a table available.  Also have some quilt squares stacked neatly in a box waiting for me to carry them to the machine.  Good rainy day project.

No school today but the kids pretty much stay home on their own nowadays. I'm sure Sammy is appreciating that.  Mary arrives tomorrow morning and we'll go to Maddie's soccer game in the afternoon.

I watched both debates last night.  McKenna seems more at ease in front of the camera and well versed on what he has to say.  I'll probably vote for him.  The vice presidential debate was kind of a toss-up.  I thought Biden was cocky, rude, and condescending through a lot of his presentation, and I didn't appreciate the way he grinned at the camera and rolled his eyes while Ryan spoke.  I wasn't particularly impressed with Ryan beforehand but it is politics, afterall, and it's hard to know who's real when you only have television appearances to judge. I'm leaning more towards Obama than Romney but I'm not particularly excited about either candidate.  I'm probably favoring Obama more for the fact that he has Hillary than anything else. I think she's an asset for our country.

I read a pretty good article in Rolling Stone Magazine yesterday about how our political campaigns are screwed up with more and more money being socked into convincing us which side should win; not to mention the media being able to manipulate the masses.  The writer of the article had some valid points to make in how we should change the system but it'll never happen.  Sure would be nice, though, to not have nasty campaign ads shoved down our throat month after month.

I watched a few of the new shows that appeared on the line-up recently. Taped them, of course, so I could FF if I decided they weren't worth my time.  Didn't care for Nashville right off the bat. Basically Taylor Swift opposite Reba and the music sucked too.

The Neighbors is just another Third Rock from the Sun and boring. Guys with Kids is the same ole thing and I refuse to watch anything that has canned laughter, Animal Practice isn't that great although the star of it was wonderful in Weeds. Private Practice and Parenthood make me ill with their contrived way of speaking.  Trying to present a show that is "real" while all I find is that it's real fake.

So it's back to PBS for me. And the really wicked programs like Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad.  HGTV has great shows on homes being fixed up or sold, and are way more fun to watch than phony baloney sitcoms.  Also like to watch people cooking although who can afford to eat like that or afford the cookware, food, and appliances.  And who wants to clean up the mess?  Ha Ha

Hope I get some mail today. Am expecting three books (and I've got to put a lid on that impulse buying) but I did sell one on ebay yesterday and that was a nice surprise.  I also learned how to make my own mailing label. Unfortunately, the book wouldn't fit in my mailbox without bending it so I made a quick run down to the corner grocery store that has a substation.  Much to my delight, they have FINALLY fixed their parking lot.  It was way overdue as that store is busy day and night.

Here's a video I found while just browsing on YouTube..... about spotting good buys on antiques...



No comments:

Post a Comment