My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, October 1, 2012

Here Comes October

My son-in-law, Wayne, went camping with his uncle for a few days and took Sammy, the dog, with him.  I was over there for dinner last night and asked Wayne how the dog did out in the woods and he said: "I'm just sorry I didn't take him last year. He was such a good dog and fit right in and behaved and seemed to really enjoy himself.  It was great having him along."
 
 
 
I asked Jenni what the reaction was when Sammy returned and she said: He couldn't give me enough kisses and licks.  He ran from one end of the house to the other, stopping to jump on the couch and other chairs in his tear down the hallway and back.  It was kind of like 'I'M HOME! I'M HOME!'

Sammy got dropped off here this morning and he wandered around my house to see the changes. I had had a 'rearranging kick' and switched things around in almost every room.  I had moved his bed from the back of my walk-in closet to the back bedroom at the other end of the house and while I made sure he saw where his bed was, he decided he wanted to sleep where he had been so he ignored the bed and went back to my closet. I'd even shut the door to deter him from the closet but I didn't close it tight.  I figured he was going to sleep where he darn well felt like it so I moved his bed back to the closet and let it go.

He doesn't have a perch to sit on in this room anymore because I know I'm eventually going to have to turn the heat on and I can't have the perch by the heater. Besides, I wanted to put my house plants in front of the window. At least for now. This room is much cozier now.

I brought in the deck furniture (I usually store it in the garage during winter) but this year I decided I'd use the chairs with cushions year round. I put the large table in the back bedroom and stored my stereo equipment on it with tapes that I have to eventually convert to CDs. It's really become my catch-all room now.

It looks like October is starting with sunshine this year.  I'm glad.  I'm driving over to Bremerton in a couple of days to shop and visit so I hope the sun continues.  Been thinking I might want to drive into PT as well. A friend of mine in Penn. emailed me that her friends are filming a movie in town and I should go in and say hello. Sounds like a good photo opportunity but if I'm going to do it, I should probably do it the same day I go to Bremerton since I'd already be halfway there when I got off the bridge. I'll have to think on that.

I had a wonderful birthday dinner at Jenni's yesterday.  She fixed fajitas and I love the way she does them up. For some reason, I don't cook them much and I'm not sure why. She also had this wonderful little cake from Costco.  My gifts were unusual -- and much loved!  A doormat....
and....  a few cans of SPAM!  Yep!  Spam.  I love Spam. Always have.  The kids thought it was hilarious but I can make a can of spam last a week using it in various ways.  Quirky perhaps but oh well....

Jenni and I were discussing which TV shows we both watch these days.  We seldom have the same list but this year (and this surprised her) we're both getting a kick out of Honey Boo Boo and the Amish teens in NY.  I think the fact that we admitted to Honey Boo Boo surprised us both. hee hee  We're also both fans of The Amazing Race (which started last night) but I tape it as I usually like whatever PBS is offering.  Last night it was 'Call the Midwife.'  LOVED IT!

I had taped the movie 'Diner' a few nights back and watched it recently as well.  I'd seen it before but had kind of forgotten how great the soundtrack music was.  This morning I saw a guy and his band on GMA and while I missed his intro, I thought as I watched and listened that he must be a relative of Bob Dylan. Yep. Jakob Dylan-- and he was darn good too!

I am watching Dancing with the Stars but only after I've taped it so I can buzz through the commercials, repeat comments, and everything the judges have to say. All three of them irritate me. The only dancer I'll watch everything of is Derek Hough. What a cutie pie!

I rode my bike for about 40 minutes yesterday and plan to get out there again this morning. Otherwise, the only thing on my agenda is ironing some cotton blouses (yeah, I still iron) and work on my next Town Kid blog.  I probably won't post it for a week or so but I need to get it written while the idea is in my head.

I also have diary transcriptions waiting for me and both books I'm reading are calling my name too.
'Dark Star, the Roy Orbison Story' and 'Wild' by Cheryl Strayed--her story of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.

And that is how my October is starting. Saw in the PDN this morning that cousins Lee & Elaine Arey had a car mishap near Chimacum yesterday. Hope all is well.  They've had enough health issues to last a lifetime this year.  And that reminds me of my dream last night.

 I don't recall a lot of it, of course; dreams are like that but I do recall that my Aunt Elva and cousin Claude appeared.  Both had lots of full black/silver hair (that seemed to stand out the most and neither of them had a lot of hair when they died)  Anyhow, Claude just stood in the background smiling and didn't say anything (which is very unusual) and Elva was in the front smiling. All she said was "We just wanted to say hello." And then they left.  I was crying and wanted them to come back. Almost the kind of crying where I knew I was crying and was trying to wake up from a dream. If you know what I mean. 

Dreams fascinate me. Always have.  I think they're learning tools if you can figure out the message and pay attention.  Well, time to get moving before I talk myself out of that bike ride altogether. I still have to force myself out the door most mornings.


No comments:

Post a Comment