My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Drats! Another MRI needed!

I knew I wasn't going to get off easy this time around. Mainly because my back/leg issues were getting to the point where I knew something was amiss and it wasn't about to go away until I got it fixed.  Went to the doctor this morning to find out the results of my last MRI.  Sadly, I have to go in the tube again. This time with a contrast dye injected first so they can see stuff better.  The radiologist wrote:
The majority of syringomyelia (sih-ring-go-my-E-lee-uh) is associated with Chiari malformation, a condition in which brain tissue protrudes into your spinal canal. Other causes include spinal cord tumors, spinal cord injuries, and damage caused by inflammation around your spinal cord.
The findings on the MRI read: mild lower thoracic cord expansion by a central cord fluid signal collection, which appears to be a mildly septated syrinx measuring about 6 cm long and up to 6 cm in diameter, maximum at T8. Mild anterior degenerative disk disease and spurring at multiple levels.
 
All Greek to me, of course.  I do know that once I have the second MRI, we'll discuss whether back surgery is necessary.  My everyday normal activities have been so restricted these past months (and getting worse all the time) that I've accepted the fact that surgery is most likely going to be on the agenda.  Well, so be it!  I'd rather put up with all that that involves rather than live with this pain that won't let me do even normal physical activity.
 
I've got to keep my eye on the prize and think positive. If I can start going for walks again, life will be GOOD!
 
Gotta get my prescription filled first, though. I know what's involved and I still don't like MRIs!
 
Well, just a short note today.  Spent a couple hours working on my latest Town Kid blog and now I'm too tired to write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment