My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Puttering....

After fixing breakfast and working a bit on the crossword puzzle I have sitting in front of me when I eat, I poured myself a second cup of coffee and proceeded to the laptop to catch up on emails.  I ended up sending just one, however. It became a long-winded, never ending chat gaining on 4000 words.

I decided I needed to get out of the house so I made a quick run to Albertsons to pick up a can of pumpkin and some eggs. Came home and baked a pumpkin pie -- mainly because I had an almost full can of evaporated milk in the fridge and I needed to use it up.  I was putting it in my morning coffee (and it was okay for a while) but I found myself missing my french vanilla milk so I reluctantly bought another jar of it. I really do wish I could break the habit as creamer keeps going up.  Still, it's cheaper in the long run than getting hooked on those drive-thru coffee places you see all over town.
Albertsons even has a Starbucks set up inside now like Safeway does. Prices are too steep for my budget, though, so I never stop to browse the menu.

I went over to the library for a half hour or so as I noticed they had a new microfiche machine and since it was digital and hooked to a computer and printer, I wanted to get some lessons.  Going to be a lot more fun to read old Leaders. The screen is at a comfortable level for your neck so you're not looking up and if you put in a USB stick, you can copy articles onto it and take it home to work from. I love that feature.

I'm trying to do a little diary transcription every day but deciphering my shorthand sometimes is a struggle so it can be slow going.  It's especially annoying when I spend a lot of time studying what I've written and then figure out it's totally stupid and not something I intend to transcribe into longhand anyhow.  I did go look up past years of October 2 to see what I was doing. I have so many missing dates through the years, sometimes I wonder why I'm even bothering to go to all this trouble in the first place.

1982 looked interesting but as usual, I didn't go into a lot of detail and I can't remember everything we did that weekend.  I wrote:  Shirley & I went to Portland, stayed with Loraine,and hit the Rimrock and the Jubitz Truck Stop.

In 1984 I wrote: I met John 21 years ago today. Har de har har har!  (this was two years after our divorce)  Sorry John. 

UPS guy just delivered my new vacuum.  It was my first purchase on QVC and he told me to be careful.  Said he used to deliver packages to a lady (sometimes a dozen a week) and he could see the boxes inside lined up whenever he arrived, still unopened. When she died, her kids came in and had to dispose of three floors of QVC packages, and most were unopened boxes.  Kind of like a hoarder, I guess.  He said after her husband died, she had nothing to do but watch tv and order stuff. 

I've been taping TV shows like mad the last few days. Trying to catch as many "off the wall" shows I've never watched before or that are new.  Tonight is 3 hours on the Travel channel with three shows that looked good and 'Sons of Anarchy' which I'm giving another chance.  I'm also watching Alaska and yesterday I had to tape a 1935 movie with Spencer Tracy called Dante's Inferno.  Of the new shows I've seen so far (haven't watched too many yet) I do like Matthew Perry's 'Go On'.

I laid out on the lounge chair on the deck yesterday soaking up the sun and napping. Suspect, though, that my days are numbered for that. Almost felt like I needed to turn on the heat this morning but I resisted.  I did have to turn it on in the car, though.  And I moved the lounge chair into the living room as it's really a terrific chair for both sitting and sleeping in even though it's canvas.

Well, I've gotta go pick up Hunter in 45 minutes and I still have some computer editing to do. Meaning clean-up.  Tomorrow morning I head to Bremerton. While transcribing diary notes earlier, I discovered that the last time I went over to visit Carol, it was October then too.  I really need to make an effort to get out of the county more because my last visit was seven years ago!  Yep!  World traveler I'll never be.

No comments:

Post a Comment