My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, October 8, 2012

I'm a slow learner

A couple days ago I put two bird feeders in front of the window that looks out on the street. I'm often sitting here at the laptop watching the hummingbirds and other birds come in to feed and since they seemed to be ignoring the backyard feeder (which was full of seed) I decided to move it.  I knew better but like I said, I'm a slow learner.

I had put feeders with seed out front before and had the deer get into it.  I moved the feeders to the back (they can't get back there) and I hung feeders out front that were usable only by birds.  I should have left well enough alone but I obviously have to learn the hard way. Got up this morning to find both feeders empty.
It's my own fault.  I should have moved them yesterday when I had to keep going out onto the front lawn to chase the deer off.  I didn't want them working their way up to my window to eat the birdseed.  Silly me.  Of course they'd wait until nightfall and I was fast asleep.  So..... since I have to make a library run to return books, I think I'll scoot across town and buy more seed.  I need to pick up a sack of dirt anyhow. I saw a couple of bluejays circling yesterday.
I'm going to clean up all the bird feeders while I'm at it, prune some flower deadheads, sweep down cobwebs, and oh yeah, wash the windows facing the back.  The bright afternoon sun reminds me daily that it's time to get out there. 
 
Speaking of blue.....I had a slight case of the blues yesterday. It was a beautiful day but I just couldn't get my energy level up and moving. Feeling sorry for myself because my back and legs were causing me grief (oh, boo hoo -- woe is me).  I had a long talk with myself later in the day reminding baby Joyce that she could be burdened with a whole lot worse and she needs to get over her pity party and move on!  They'll never do a movie about my inner strength and grit to work through physical problems.  Nope. I'm a weenie!
 
I sat down to read (Wild by Cheryl Strayed) and it's a terrific book! I'll probably finish it today.  After rearranging all my books, I was reminded again that I have read very few of my large collection.  I need to quit checking out books at the library and work on what is here under my roof.  I've said this before but everytime I go to the library, I end up carrying home an armful.
 
I don't see how people read so many books. I'm kind of a slow reader  and I know I'm easily distracted.  I also doze off at the drop of a hat. I need to rearrange my priorities, I suppose.  I have TV shows I like to watch while doing needlework but somehow I've got to make more time for reading.
 
Last night I watched 'Call the Midwife' on PBS. It was WONDERFUL!  You know you're being entertained when you glance at the clock hoping there's more time to go before the finish.
 
I've had the TV on this morning but finally had to push the off button. Thieves stealing huge quantities of gas, stupid people beating up each other at weddings, and a story of a very thin and very pretty dancing star telling her story of dealing with bulomia.  Sorry. Not of interest.  The clincher for the off button, however, was yet again another story on Michael Jackson. This time his family fighting over his money.  Sigh..... like I really care about that!
 
Well, as much as I hate driving into the blinding sun, I think I'll get my errands done early.  I do have a few computer jobs to attend to later this afternoon.  Am continuing to delete duplicate files on Itunes and have worked my way through 1500 of them!
 
Here's two more bad dog photos.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment