My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, November 3, 2012

1st Saturday of the month

Hmmmm...I always have to stop and figure this out....when I turn my clocks back tonight when I go to bed, that means it will stay darker in the morning and lighter at night..right?  Yeah, I think that's it. You'd think after all these years that I would have that embedded in my brain.  Like a whole lot of other info, however, it's embedded so deep, it won't always rise to the surface. Or whatever memories do up there in the brain.

Yesterday I decided to buy a wig.  I can only look at pictures of myself so long without the aggravation ruining my day.  I've never been able to "do hair" and my photographs prove it. I have a tendency to cut it short so I don't have to mess with it. Sometimes these cuts are a tad too short and then I have to wait for the hair to grow out again. I just figured out that hair growth slows with age. I guess I always knew that as I hardly ever have to shave my legs or under my arms anymore. 

I've been grabbing a hat before leaving the house these days, and while I look absolutely cute in it, I'm not that cute!  ha ha  Here's a shot of 'Hat Joyce' and 'Wig Joyce.'


 
I went on a diet Nov. 1st.  Nothing in particular; just eating less and changing what I eat. Once I get rid of a few staples in the pantry, I may go on Atkins for a couple of weeks.  When I picked up Maddie yesterday at 5:30 to take her to soccer practice in the pouring down rain, she got in the car and said: "I've got a present for your Gramma."  She pulled out a big ole Snickers Bar. She must have got it at a really good trick or treat house.  I eyed it with love but declined.  It's not often that I decline a Snickers Bar!  This morning I got on the scales. Figured I had to have lost at least a tiny bit (I did turn down a candy bar, after all!)  Much to my delight, I was down four.  That's all it took to give me the confidence and desire to keep on going.  One thing I'm trying to do more of is drink twice the amount of water during a day than I usually do.  This is harder than you might think.
 
Friday morning I head over to Bremerton to consult with a neurosurgeon about my MRI results. I'm both nervous and anxious to hear what he has to say.  I purposely made the appointment early (9:30) but now I see that means I'll be driving in the dark most of the way there.   Bad maneuvering on my part but oh well, I'll manage. Somehow it's a little easier to drive in the morning dark than it is the night dark--if that makes any sense.  I can only hope it won't be raining. That's when things get a little dicey for me.   Gonna hook up with Carol Musial afterwards for lunch.
 
I saw this auction-like website advertised on Facebook called dealdash.com.  Has anybody ever joined that? Would be curious to read feedback on whether it's worth the money.  The ads on FB are favorable but we all know they wouldn't post bad reviews.
 
I watched the Country Music Awards last night. I always tape them because I don't care for most of the country music these days and I can fast forward through a 3-hour show and watch what I want in 30 minutes or so.  They're definitely aimed at a younger audience, that's for sure. These shows seldom feature any of the older artists; just  young dudes in tight pants strutting around like they're God's gift to women. 
 
They gave Willie Nelson an award and I was surprised they let him sing.  I was also surprised that he got up from the audience and onto the stage rather quick and nimble-like. Sometimes the older ones move a whole lot slower. I suppose that's why they don't get primetime air time.   That got me to thinking about some of the people I like (singers and actors) and how old they are now.  It's amazing, by the way, when you get to browsing online what kind of gossip you can come across.  I stopped to read up on Burt Reynolds and The Everly Brothers. Here's a few stars with ages following....
 
George Jones, 81/ Merle Haggard, 75/ Willie Nelson, 79/ Bob Dylan, 71/ Sam Elliott, 68/ Dustin Hoffman, 75/ Jack Nicholson, 75/ Al Pacino, 72/ Fats Domino, 84/ Pat Boone, 78/ Robert Duvall, 81/ Burt Reynolds, 76/ Loretta Lynn, 80/ Don & Phil Everly, 75 & 73/ Tony Bennett, 86.
 
I stopped by my favorite thrift shop yesterday (Serenity House) and decided to browse their little Christmas shed outside the main store. I was very pleased with the stuff I found. My favorites being
3 counted cross stitch kits (all for .40 a piece)  These included all the embroidery thread (which isn't  cheap bought separately), the cloth, directions, frame, and batting.  One of the kits included a crossstitch magazine with a metal board inside with magnetic strips. (always handy to use). I also got five nice Xmas placemats, some cute little tubs for putting gift cookies in, a really neat jigsaw puzzle with red cardinals on it, and a box of Xmas cards for $1.30.  Yep! Well worth the stop.
 
After that, I stopped by Safeway to pick up some flowers for a friend who just had knee surgery. Decided to buy myself a little African violet plant too. I've had one but it just won't perk up. I transplanted my spider plants as the ends were all brown but I don't know that I helped them much as they still look pathetic with brown tips.  My Xmas cactus, however, seemed to appreciate new dirt as she popped out with a flower the very next day. Here's some pics I took around the place....
      Fresh African violet plant bought at Safeway for $5
   Spider plants in the bathtub still not happy. All have brown leaves.
 Christmas cactus says 'thank you for the water and fresh dirt'
   trees lost a whole lot of leaves overnight. I've got to get out there soon and plant my tulip bulbs.
 Two counted cross stitch designs I finished. Now I have to figure out what to do with them. A pillow maybe or  small quilt wall hangings. I'll figure it out.
 Four quilts and two afghans. (this is why I don't get a lot of books read, I guess)
Didn't have a styrofoam head for my wig but my halloween pumpkin will work good enough.
 
And here's one of the best REALLY GOOD country songs ever made....
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment