My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Still up in the air

I really did convince myself that yesterday's doctor appt was going to be successful and I'd have some answers to this ongoing back,hip,leg, foot issue that's been a part of my life way too long.  Silly me!
I left the house at 7 a.m. with the roads lookin' kind of icy. Traffic was light all the way but the rising sun coming up in my face most of the way made driving less than relaxing.  I was on a mission, though, and I plowed through.  Naturally, I got there early but rather that than late, I always say.

Liked the doctor right off the bat.  The guy who's appt was right before mine came out and stopped to share his trust in the doctor, what a good surgeon he was,  and how he's as good as can be.  I recognized his enthusiasm as it was something I wanted after being cured.  I got in right away and it wasn't long before steam was coming out of my ears!  The P.A. hospital imaging dept. had neglected to send over my MRI films electronically.  WELL THAT'S JUST GREAT!

The doctor said: "Most of my patients hand carry the disk to me."  I told him I was all ready to do that but they informed me it's all done by computer now, and no need to bother.  On the plus side, he did say that once he did get to look at the film, we can consult via the phone.  And he also felt that the symptoms giving me the most problems right now are probably not related to the syrinx and he's betting surgery won't be necessary. He can't say for sure until he sees the MRIs himself,  but suggests I get hip x-rays and see an orthopedic guy in my neck of the woods.

From the exam he gave me and the exercises he put me through, he also didn't feel I needed hip replacement.  I could do all the little bends and twists easily (and of course, nothing hurt any where 'cause I was in the doctor's office)  You know how that goes.

I didn't cry when I left but I was discouraged knowing I'm still looking for answers.  I went for coffee with a friend afterwards and we shared our medical woes.  We were born a couple weeks apart and even though she's never had a weight issue, she is also suffering with leg and back issues. Her doctor diagnosed piriformis (which I intend to read up on again). She also can't be on her feet for too long of a time. Somehow that was comforting to me.

Soooo.... come Monday I guess I'll call and make another appt with my doctor to see about hip x-rays. I woke up with a lower leg charlie horse type cramp early this morning.  Haven't been bothered with them for a while (in the calf) but I also noticed at the same time that the upper inner thigh pain that has had me alarmed all week also had a twinge of a cramp trying to start.  I'm sure this is related but not having my medical degree yet, I don't know if it's muscle related or nerve related. Maybe both.

Now I'm going to pull up all my info on how to help leg cramps and start in fresh trying to get a handle on it.  I've got a list of several things you can do. Everything from sipping pickle juice, eating a tsp. of mustard, and drinking low-sodium V8 juice. 

And then just to remind me of what a ditz I can be...I managed to lose my way home!  I am seriously thinking about getting a low-dose happy pill to help me cope.  I seem to make situations a whole lot more complicated than they are.  I also blame the highway sign dept who can't seem to put up a sign indicating which way to Hood Canal Bridge.  Us dummies need all the help we can get when we're out there alone!

I was outside Bremerton sitting at this big ole intersection at a light and looked off to my right. I thought to myself: "that looks awfully familiar. I wonder if I should have made that turn back there."
I continued on and realized I somehow or another managed to get myself headed back to Bremerton.  I was plenty ticked off now!  I decided to take whatever exit I thought would get me to Silverdale Mall. Once I was there, I knew I could find my way out.  This is what happens when you don't leave the peninsula much.

I showed up at the road near Target and since I really had to go to the bathroom after that coffee and stress, I pulled into their parking lot.  Made my way over to the store and there's a sign saying the bathroom is closed for cleaning.  Yep! I'm having one of those days.  I thought I'd go look over their jeans selection and after not being able to find a thing, the clerk informs me they've cut way down on their womens selection. 

I stopped in Sequim to buy a few Thanksgiving dinner supplies at Walmart. Treated myself to some fleece pj bottoms with Minnie Mouse.  I needed something happy about that time. I was exhausted when I got home. My legs ached from being in the car that long (two hours each way) and I tried to nap in my recliner. No luck. Hit the sack before 9 pm. 

Today will be better. I've got my 'to-do list' all written up and I've got a dinner invite at 5 so I don't have to cook. (pizza at the other grandma's house) Gonna go check my mega ticket numbers and put the memory foam back on my mattress.  At least until I change the sheets again.  Must be OCD.

No comments:

Post a Comment