My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Elections

I'm interested in politics and politicians but I must admit I am mighty happy those annoying television ads are a  thing of the past.  Definitely overkill and it's one reason I'll never donate money to the political campaigns. They waste it on television ads that could be played two or three times before election day and then buried. And let's face it -- the majority of the people on our ballot for various offices are strangers to us. Yes, some folks take the time to read all the data and  find out in detail how this or that particular person has voted or behaved in the past but I'd bet most voters are ignorant about the people running. Sadly, a whole lot of the people in the political arena aren't all that trustworthy and above board.

 Politics can be a dirty game and even if you start out with high morals, I think the system can pull you under over time and to get anything accomplished, you have to bend the rules here and there. Smear campaigns have become commonplace.  Years ago I participated in the election process for a couple of local people running for office.  After going to committee meetings and watching debates, it didn't take long to figure out this was a backstabbing process. Not by everyone, but enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I was sitting in my recliner last night watching a movie on Turner Classics and I'd switch over now and then to see what was going on.  At one point, my cellphone buzzed me that I had a text message.
After finally figuring out how to retrieve the message (it was Mary telling me Obama won) I decided I'd text back.  I obviously still need to practice on my cell.  I wrote: "this is my first text message."  This morning I click on my hotmail and there's a reply message from Mary saying "okay." I'd sent an email to her instead.  Sigh....   It's not that hard really. I just can't keep it straight 'cause I don't do it enough.  I also need my little "pointer pen" to write because my fingers haven't got it down on how to hit the exact key I'm trying to type.  Course that means I have to hunt for my pen before I can reply.

I still have problems finding a person I want to call too.  I'm sure it's easier than the system I'm using. I go to 'people', scroll thru the alphabet, find the person, hit their name, then realize I've hit the name ahead or below them, hang up on that person after I see it's ringing, and then cuss and start over.

And on that note...time to go get a second cup of coffee for the second half of this blog post.

Here's a few pictures my cousin, Grant, posted on Facebook. He's back east working for FEMA right now.





Sounds like another storm is brewing offshore now. I sure hope this area is done being hit so they can find shelter.

It's actually looking a little sunny outside my window this early morning (7:40 a.m.)  The hummingbirds have already flew in to drink their nectar.  My window thermastat reads 48.  I plan to spend my day pretty much like I spent yesterday... a little of this and a little of that. I finished a jigsaw puzzle and will set up another today.
I didn't leave the house but I do plan to drive over to Virginia Tomlinson's today to get a peek at her new grandson, Cody.

I set up the ironing board in the kitchen this morning so I can start pressing the quilt squares I began sewing together yesterday.
When I "retire to the recliner" I usually divide my time between tv, reading, napping, crochet, and some cross stitch project. This is one I picked up at Serenity House for 40 cents.
Here's a couple pictures I got in a "remember when" email......

Both of these were a part of my life at various times.  And here's some cute pictures I especially liked on Facebook. These are the type of things I save to make into postcards.



Birdwatching has become a past time of mine too.  They're interesting.  Like right now... there's a black crow walking down the middle of the street with a sea gull. I swear they probably visit. The crow most likely told him: "let's head over to Joyce's yard; yesterday she threw out popcorn."

(Yeah, I'm nuts!)

And here's a trailer from my favorite movie which my youngest daughter has yet to watch and that irritates me!


No comments:

Post a Comment