My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, November 25, 2012

My Sunday So Far......

Sometimes it's mind over matter.  I woke up this morning and decided before my feet hit the floor that it was going to be a better day than yesterday.  Not that yesterday was all that bad, but it did have its moments.  Let's just say that I broke down around midnight and opted to take these pills I'd been prescribed a few weeks back but felt they weren't helping.  I was desperate so I decided I had nothing to lose.  They must have helped some because I was able to drop off to sleep. Sometimes I wonder if I do have Restless Leg Syndrome afterall. But I won't go down that road today.

Anyhow, I got up and fixed a hot breakfast.  It wasn't all that satisfying of a breakfast which is odd because I usually enjoy the morning meal the most.  I think I'm in that rut where nothing I fix looks or tastes good.  I know that if somebody else was cooking for me, I'd probably love everything put in front of me.

I bought a power ball ticket yesterday and daydreamed a little about winning that $325 million.  I started out with who I would call first.  I figured that would be my accountant, (daughter Mary) and she could conference call the rest of the kids so I could tell them all at once that their lives had changed.  Then I daydreamed about how I would spend the money and who I would donate to.

I figured my health care would get a whole lot better 'cause I wouldn't have to wait two or three weeks to get in. I also planned on getting a driver, house cleaners, cook, physical therapist, and oh, the list went on and on.  It was kinda fun but alas, it was not to be. At least not this week.

I cleaned up the backyard a little yesterday. Just little stuff like putting away my solar lights and cute decorations for the winter. Today I have to clean the bird feeders and put in fresh seed.  Noticed that one area below a feeder had a whole lot of seeds scattered below as the grass was extra thick.


 
My poor ole backyard (front and sides too) sure take a beating in the winter. I think the soil in this block is very poor. Only one or two houses have really nice grass and I watched one guy bring in a huge truckload of soil (from where he works).  Walking down one side of my house shows thick moss with mushrooms here and there. Never gets any sun.
 
 
I made a library run yesterday morning and picked up three audio books. I didn't intend to check out any books as I'm determined to read what is on my home shelves but I have no willpower at libraries and I picked up a mystery called 'I am not a pyschic.'  The author is Richard Belzer from Law & Order.
 
I had Godfather on during Thanksgiving meal prep.  I surfed around trying to find something and kept coming back  to watch a few minutes of my favorite movie. Decided it was the only thing of any substance on tv that day.  Sometimes I watch Dr. Oz but I  usually don't feel good afterwards.  He has so may tips of things to buy and eat and habits you need to start that I get overwhelmed at how unhealthy my entire lifestyle is.  I also can't remember half the things he says to buy.  Several are only available at health food counters and I figure they're too expensive to buy on a regular basis.
 
I do like Dr. Oz and I feel he does a genuine service for the public. Just wish he could let the silliness go of people giggling over him when they're called on stage to view rubber body parts.  I had to laugh one day when a woman asked him a question that was so personal and embarrassing that she couldn't get the nerve up to ask her doctor. Yet.....here she is on national tv sharing that personal question with the world. What a dingbat!
 
I watched a 2003 movie with Katie Holms yesterday.  Also had Oliver Platt (who I really like). It was a dark movie but I found myself sticking with it as I wanted to see what happened.  The ending was quite good. Called 'Pieces of April.'
 
I stopped by the bread store this morning as it was Senior Citizen day.  I got a package of fig cookies, a bag of dinner rolls, a package of hot dog buns, and two loaves of bread --all for $6.  Two of the items were free.  I figured since I'd driven that far across town, I might as well hit Walmart and pick up the items on my grocery list. I think there were maybe 7 or 8 things I needed but I ended up spending $97.97 for 19 items.  Two gift cards among them.
 
Checking out of WM is usually one of the worst experiences of shopping there-- IF you can find a checker and don't have to try and do it yourself.  I was at the far end with the 20 items or less clerk and wouldn't you know.....her cash register "acted up."  She kept trying to credit one of my gift cards as it had gone in three times.  Wouldn't work so we stood A LONG TIME waiting for a supervisor.
Then it remarkably showed up as fixed.  The supervisor left and then we had other problems so another guy stopped to see if he could help. He couldn't so she called the supevisor again.  All my things were bagged and in my cart, and it was decided we needed to start from scratch and rescan the items. 
 
Many of them were heavy and I was already having leg pain so I stood there to see if they would unload and rescan 'CAUSE I WASN'T GOING TO.  They did.  Then I had to swipe my card twice before the "computer" cooperated.  Sigh....... typical transaction.
 
As I drove home, I debated whether or not to stop at McDonalds to get a fish sandwich and coke or to stop at Jack in the Box to get a chicken sandwich and chocolate shake.  (they make the best in town)  I had a talk with myself over it and Mickey D won.
 
Everything is put away and since it's still not raining, I think I'll take advantage and get outside with the garden hose to clean up those bird feeders and refill with fresh seed.  I've got the back bedroom set up with a table and supplies to start wrapping Xmas gifts.  I'm not quite in the mood today but I did manage to clear the house of various bric-a-brac in preparation for the Xmas decos I plan to bring out next weekend.
 
I need to start on my Christmas cards too.  I'm still thinking on whether or not to write a Xmas letter and what picture I want to include.  Can't stand any of the pictures of myself this past year or two and I never can get all my kids in the same room anymore so I don't know what I'm going to do. Maybe I'll put together a grandkids photo since Catie is coming over this week. (her mom turns 48 on Friday)
 
I fertilized all my house plants but I'm tempted to throw out the spider plants as they all look puny with brown tips. I'll give them a couple more weeks to see if they snap out of it.  Need to clean the two fish bowls this afternoon. Damn fish!  They just won't die!
 
Here's John Prine in 1973...
 
 


and here's another favorite of mine....Iris Dement....




I saw a special the other night on Alicia Keys.  Man, what a beautiful woman she is.  I just may buy her latest CD  - Girl on Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment