My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, November 15, 2012

I need a nap

I've got half a dozen black crows visiting out on my front lawn right now.  I wonder why they don't land on the neighbor's lawn.  Yeah, these are the kind of questions I ponder these days.

I left the house around 8:45 a.m. as I like to get my errands done early.  Walmart was fairly empty so I scooted around quickly picking up last minute Thanksgiving dinner items. Needed to pick up a prescription too. Their pharmacy policy now is to not let you take your pkg until the pharmacist talks to you about the side effects and such.  This can be a real nuisance if it's a drug you've been taking forever.  It can be an irritant if you get a pharmacist who you know darn well doesn't really know much.  Like the one I had today.  I decided I'd try out this low-dose antidepressant (to take the edge off) and maybe make me easier to get along with.  Don't put money on that one,though. 

The one thing she told me was:  "This drug affects people differently. You may feel depressed and suicidal."

"Well, that's just great!", I told her.  "What exactly, then, is the whole point in taking them in the first place?!"  She just smiled.  She told me if I notice I'm getting very depressed, I'll need to call my doctor.  I told her: "I'm not depressed now. I'm just pissed off a lot of the time!  hee hee

Stopped by the bank to visit with Jenni a few minutes and did a quick walk-thru at Goodwill and Serenity House. Nothing much appealed to me to I filled up with gas at Safeway and decided to go into the store and pick up what I couldn't find or forgot at Walmart.

Walmart's very long aisle of dry cereals had everything except the one I wanted --All Bran. As I browsed down Safeway's aisle, I came across this old guy (I think his daughter was helping him) and he was looking around for the kind of cereal he wanted. We both spied the All Bran at the same time (it has a different box so that was confusing) and he took one down for himself.  Not realizing he wanted two boxes for himself, as he reached for the second box, I took it out of his hands saying "thank you."  Then I realized he wasn't actually getting it down for me.  ha ha   I apologized and said: "oh, sorry...I thought you were helping me on my shopping list too."  He laughed and let me have it.

While in the parking lot, I checked my phone and realized I'd missed a call. A guy from class of '68
wanted to buy one of my books and an alumni photo CD.  Come to find out, he lived in PA near the library so I had him come by.  I had an extra copy of 'Walkin' on Water' up in the closet so he bought that one, as well.  He came in for a while and we visited and discussed classmates and Port Townsend. Told me to tell my brother, Dana, hello.....so "Hello Dana  -  from Rich Olson"

Rich is retired from the Forest Service and has lived in PA for decades.  I didn't actually know him but I knew his family. His uncle was Fred Okert.

This gray weather is making me feel like I need a nap.  Maybe I'll set aside quilt sewing today and just veg out in the recliner with the knitting needles. I made a slipper last night and need to make the other one today.  Think I'll practice on making a pom pom too. I used to know how to do that.

And here's a guy whose music I always enjoyed.  This is good country...


When I stopped at Walgreens to pick up my pictures, they had some cracker jacks for sale on the counter. Always a sucker for a "prize inside" ( plus I like cracker jacks), I decided to buy some. I suppose it still sells in a box but this time it was in a bag.  The prize was stupid.  Their prizes have been stupid for years but I'm a slow learner.  It was a pencil topper and with a fun note telling me that a typical pencil can write 45,000 words or draw a line 35 miles long.  I would have been more excited with a top.


No comments:

Post a Comment