My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Another cold one

I do have to make a couple of quick errands today but I think I'll hurry home and spend the rest of the day hunkered down on hobbies.  Just finished my second cup of coffee and while the dishwasher is running, I plan to sit at my laptop and do some writing.

Later on I'll set out my next puzzle and get going on a sewing project.  I picked up half a dozen books on tape at the library so that ought to keep me occupied for a while. I had to turn the television off early as I refuse to be subjected to yet another story of some celebrity going to rehab to find themselves.

My television viewing at night has pretty much evolved to local news, national news, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, surfing back and forth to watch Inside Edition-like shows, and then a quick run through of the prime time line-up to see if there's anything I just HAVE to watch.  Sadly, there's not much turning me on these days.  What's even sadder is the shows I land on and watch with interest.  Last night it was a nature program on PBS about ants,cockroaches and termites.  Sounds gross, I know, but it was really good!

I started to watch a segment this morning about this guy who explores caves but I had to turn it off 'cause it was making me feel nervous.  Caves have always fascinated me but there's no way in hell I'd go in one.  That's silly, I suppose, but claustrophobia is alive and well.  I sometimes even get uncomfortable watching shows about submarines.   Even I know that's pathetic.

I got an email (via ancestry.com) this morning from a relative of my grandpa's.  That's the second email I've received lately from people on that side of the family. I think I'm going to get back into genealogy real soon.  Even if I have to pay for a subscription.  I'll scope out the free places first.

I got this in an email today and thought it worth passing on.....

THE LESSON

 The  following is the philosophy of Charles Schulz, the  creator of the 'Peanuts' comic strip.
 You don't have to actually answer the questions. Just ponder on them.

 1. Name  the five wealthiest people in the  world.
 2. Name  the last five Heisman trophy winners.
 3. Name  the last five winners of the Miss America pageant.
 4  Name  ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
 5. Name  the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
 6. Name  the last decade's worth of  World Series winners.

 How did you do?

 The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday.
 These are no second-rate achievers.
 They are the best in their fields.
 But the applause dies..
 Awards tarnish..
 Achievements are forgotten.
 Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.


 Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:

 1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school..
 2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
 3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
 4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
 5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.

 The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money...or the most awards. They simply are the ones who care the most


Am sitting here looking at one of my favorite pictures right now.  Is he cute or what?!!!  Sigh......
I had a very unusual dream this morning.  All my dreams are unusual, of course, but this one was odd because I was able to wake up (go pee) and come back to it again.  I really did want to see how it came out.  Had to do with the Russians invading America and they picked my house as a place to hide out.  I was trying to escape to warn the authorities but I couldn't figure out a way to get the blind up, the window open, and me out.  (that's got to mean something)  ha ha  Yeah, I know.  It means I'm mental.  We all know that.


Well, I guess I'll get busy.  Have noticed the last day or so that all three of my tvs have pink little flashes occurring on the side of the screen.  I never can remember that word for it  (pixeling?) 
Anyhow, I suspect it's a cable issue and may be related to weather so I'll ignore it for now.
Saw this on the news last night.  A sign of our times.  Stupid Russians!

No comments:

Post a Comment