My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Outside my window



I always did like The  Fleetwoods.  They came to mind when I landed on a title for today's post. Anyhow, rain is predicted all week long so I thought I would go outside and set my almost empty bird feeders on the ground so mother nature could wash them up over the next few days.
I warily watched the two rat holes under the fence as I wasn't in the mood for Ben to come visiting.

I moved one feeder that was still full around to the front garden area.  Happened to notice some bird feathers underneath the area where I had it staked near the back deck.


As I walked around the yard looking over the lawns full of moss, the neighbor cat came running out from under my deck and headed for her own yard. Don't have any doubt that the feathers are her doing.

I took a couple pictures of the front, back, and side lawns.  All are full of moss.


At  least this side lawn looks green.  It never sees much sun.  My poor ole pots are sitting there patiently waiting for spring so I can return them to the back deck and plant flowers.  For now, though, I'll content myself with indoor hobbies.  Like this puzzle that I should finish up today.
My dinners the past few nights have been especially boring.  It's too hard to get any enthusiasm generated when it's just me sitting down to stare  at the plate and work a crossword puzzle.  I looked over my freezer contents and decided I'm going to make a special dish tonight called Spinach Supreme.
Mainly because I have all the ingredients and it's a fairly easy thing to make (and it's delicious!)

Spinach Supreme

1 C. Bisquick                 12 oz. creamed cottage cheese
1/4 C. milk                     4  oz. Monterey Jack cheese, cubed
4 eggs                             1/4 C. chopped fine onion
1/2 tsp. salt                     2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 C. Parmesan cheese  10 oz pkg. frozen spinach

Let spinach thaw and drain. Beat two of the eggs and stir in Bisquick, milk, and onion.  Spread this mixture into greased oblong baking dish.
Beat  the other two eggs and add cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, garlic, salt, and spinach.  Spoon this evenly over batter in pan. Bake 30 minutes at 375.  YUM!

I went to bed kinda early last night as I was nodding off in my recliner. I read for a little while and it didn't take long for me to want to turn off the light and call it a day.  An hour later I was wide awake. Decided the hell with it and got up to get online. Wrote an email to a cousin in Oregon that wants to communicate and share genealogy facts.

Anyhow, one of my worst habits is not finishing a book.  I love books and have plenty of them in my house.  I also go to the library at least once a week 'cause I like hanging out there.  I don't know why I have such a problem staying focused on one book at a time. I never used to be that way. I used to read tons of books.  One in particular has been in my collection for years.  Blackberry Winter by Margaret Mead.  It's from 1972 and that's when I first bought it from the book club.  I've tried several times to finish that book and this is the month I intend to do it!  I'm not sure what my problem is because she writes  well and there's no excuse for my attention deficit except just that ---I can't focus.  I always seem to have a pile of books by my bed and I might try to read 3 or 4 at a time.

Since I've been hooked on jigsaws lately, I have managed to listen to 3 or 4 all the way through. Finished one yesterday by Phillip Margolin, a Portland author.  He once wrote a mystery novel based loosely on the Bev Allen murder back in the 60's.  She was a PT graduate.  Sad story.
I sent the library an email this morning telling them I couldn't look at my account online that has books checked out under my old card.  She checked their files and everything I have (5 magazines, 6 audio tapes, and 3 quilt books) are all shown to be checked in.  Good thing I'm an honest reader.

And here's a video about Facebook.  Pretty much hits the nail on the head too!



No comments:

Post a Comment