My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thursday morning

It was another morning of not wanting to get out of bed but I forced myself up anyhow.  Not that it mattered one way or the other. All I had on my agenda was housework and paperwork.  It's a little after 11 now and I just finished a load of laundry, sweeping the kitchen, vacuuming the house, pulling the two trash bins out to the alley, and sorting through several files of notes and pictures.

I suspect there's no way I'm ever going to be satisfied with the amount of "stuff" that I've got stored away here and there in nooks and crannies.  Pictures are pretty well organized by subject matter in nice tidy boxes and albums; genealogy records are sorta in order by family name in albums; and letters are filed away in individual file folders too.  I just can't seem to throw them out.  I did toss several when I wrote my "Please Mr. Postman" book but since then, my collections are growing again.

I keep trying to get my "must save stuff" into fewer boxes but it's dang hard sometimes.  Especially when I remember that I'm in the winter of my years and all my collections are going to be thrust upon my children to deal with.  More than likely, they'll dismay at the amount and resort to the trash bin.  It does seem a shame, though.  Some of it is definitely trash bin fodder but not all of it.

I've got one folder, for example, on newspaper clippings and pictures from the mill, another on my alumni reunions, one each for the kids and grandkids, one of favorite cartoons and articles from magazines.  I even have a whole album devoted to obits.  Another on Officer and a Gentleman and Elvis....it just goes on.

I guess I should be happy that my biggest frustration in life (besides health and money and weight) is how to preserve my treasures.  I've got to remember that not everyone thinks as highly of this collection as I do.  There's always the Historical Society, I suppose. I'm thinking on that too.

I think I'll go throw a stew in the crockpot now and then try to talk myself out of setting up another jigsaw puzzle.  I need to throw myself into genealogy research again.  Once I get going on it, I won't have any qualms about sitting at the laptop all afternoon.

Mary emailed me that Jacob rolled over yesterday.  Apparently, he's not that keen about laying on his tummy.  Ha!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Valentines Day to my favorite Blogger. You are truly a sweetheart. JK

    ReplyDelete