My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Go Hawks!

Am really looking forward to the entertainment on television today.  Please God!  Let us win!

I finished up all the housework I intend to do today.  Washed dishes and cleaned the toilet.  Isn't that interesting?  No?  Well, you're right.  I've got my Pandora Music Channel on the TV set to "shuffle" so I'm hearing a variety of music from Mumford and Sons to Johnny Cash to Roger Williams to Christmas music.  It's lookin' awfully gray out my window and the weatherman was talking about a possibility of snow later on this week.  I hope not.  It's pretty and all but snow gets on my nerves.  Ha ha

I went to a movie downtown last night.  70 years old and I do believe this is the first time EVER that I've gone to a movie by myself.  I really need to get out more.  I saw August: Osage County with Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts.  Both had outstanding performances.  It's not an uplifting movie.  Anything but!  I did find myself laughing out loud several times, however.  In fact, at one scene I kind of got the giggles and had to put a lid on it as I kept chuckling and chuckling ---and I was the only one in the room doing so.  Says something, I suppose, about my sense of humor.

I hate to even type what was said that tickled my funny bone but I will.  Sweet Meryl Streep was having a fight with her husband (this is the opening scene more or less) and she snarls:  You can go F.. a Fu....ing Sow!  I thought...oh my...this is my kind of movie!  Ha Ha

It was an interesting story line with interesting characters.  No matter how dysfunctional you think your own family is from time to time, this particular family wins the prize.  By the time the movie was over, I felt drained and like all the happiness in the world had been sapped out of me.  Now, that's a good movie!  Both actresses are nominated for Oscars this year. Meryl for best actress and Julia for supporting.  Either one could win but I'm suspecting neither one will get it.  Especially when you look over past choices and see how those with voting privileges go.  They often make no sense at all.

I've seen more of the movies this  year than I usually do before the awards show but there are still plenty on my "want to see list."  Nebraska, American Hustle, Philomenia, and Dallas Buyers Club, for example.  I want to see 12 years a Slave (and I'm betting it's going to win best picture) but..... those kind of movies upset me so I'll probably wait until it comes out on video.

I watched The Butler (from Red Box rental) the other night and I found it kind of boring.  I don't like watching movies that show how cruel we were (and still are in some cases) to other people.  Mainly blacks and Native Americans and Asians.  I don't even like westerns that make you wait until the very end of the movie and the bad guy gets his.  History is history, though.  Humans have been mean to other humans from the beginning of time.  I guess that's just the way it is.

Have you ever seen the movie "The Boy in the yellow pajamas"?  That one can kick you in the gut.

Well, I guess I'll go play on my jigsaw for a while.  I'm sitting here looking at the mouse pad Jenni gave me for Christmas.  I sure do like it.  Shows the twins at the ocean trip we took last year.
And here's the latest one Mary put on FB of our newest family member...Jacob.  SOOOOO CUTE!!!
And I can't leave out my first grandbaby...here's Catie in  the early 90's.....
I love being a gramma!  It's the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment