My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Saturday morning

It's looking sunny and bright outside my window but the temperature gauge tells me that outside isn't an area I need to go to right now.  I'll be glad when this cold snap passes.  I do have some yard chores to attend to but it can all wait until the ground warms up.

Noticed the neighbor's cat keeping watch over the rat hole this morning.  She's sitting out there patiently waiting for the critter to show himself.  He must have been hungry yesterday because it was the first time I ever saw a rat down in that area during the day.  While he ran off, he must be a stupid rat because I believe he thought about trying again.  I noticed this cat pawing at his hole yesterday like she almost had him.
Perhaps it was a mother looking for food to take back to her nest.  On the other hand, perhaps it was just a plain ole fat rat!  Every time I saw this cat hanging out down there, I would chase her off figuring she was after my birds.  Now, however, she can have the run of the place since I realize her tastes run to higher levels of the food chain.  Or lower levels depending on how you look at it.
Once it warms up around here, I intend to get my rubber gloves on, take down all the feeders, scrub them with soap and bleach and put them aside until springtime when I'll find another spot in the front of the house for just one or two feeders.  I may even abandon all seeds and just concentrate on finch food and hummingbird nectar.

I spent entirely too much time on my computer yesterday and I intend to find other ways to amuse myself today.  I've got various sewing projects in mind including "the church lady" banner where you make these individual squares and decorate each dress with belts, jewelry, etc.  Here's one I started and I'm thinking I might just put a border around it and have "one church lady" while I contemplate how I want to dress the others.
Looks a little dorky, I admit, but actually the ladies are kind of cute once you get them fixed up. Here's the first one I made last year.

Well, I just noticed the cat is gone. Must have got too cold for her. If it wasn't so hard to do by myself, I'd think about rearranging this office today.  I can't do it alone, though, so I'll let it go.  I'd like to get my
desk against the opposite wall so I'm not sitting in front of the heat vent.  It gets so cold in here that you have to have the heat on or your bones ache.  Doesn't take long, though, before you're cooking like a cow and you have to turn the heat off.  I suppose I could move my laptop to the kitchen again and I just may do that until this cold weather passes.

Watched a Tom Cruise movie on Netflix last night.  Jack Reacher.  It was pretty good. No academy award winner but it held my interest and that's all I care about.  I watch the Olympics off and on depending on what sport they're featuring.  I get a little weary of the never ending commercials and I'm not really that interested in the stories they sometimes do of favorite athletes.

Okay. Off the computer now.  I need to rearrange the shelves in my refrigerator so I'm not having to lift my arms up to retrieve milk and juice cartons. Too much pressure on the shoulder joints.  I've got a 750-piece jigsaw set up but this time, I hope I can show some restraint and only work on it maybe a half hour at a time.  I'm testing myself.

Am getting close to delving back into genealogy too.  I got an email from another relative I don't know and I'd really like to see what kind of info he has.

Here's the latest picture of our latest man child....Jacob Andrew.
And here's a couple of interesting pictures I got in emails.  I would hate to live where these were taken.


No comments:

Post a Comment