My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, February 24, 2014

Things to avoid

I came across some articles recently that discussed various products we use that are probably doing us harm.  It got more and more depressing the further I read.  If ever you wonder why cancer is so damn extensive in our lives, you don't need to look any further than the products we've been using all our lives.  I cut and pasted a few that especially jumped out of me.  Kind of long but important, I think.......

Don’t buy Toilet wipes with methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone.

Don’t buy  juice listing high-fructose corn syrup, added sugars, and petroleum-based food dyes like Red #40.

Watch for acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, to relieve pain and fever symptoms. Why? Because so many over-the-counter and prescription drugs contain the active ingredient, and people are too easily (and sometimes unknowingly) overdosing on the drug, potentially leading to irreversible liver damage and even death. Try This Instead: Make sure you talk to your doctor and pharmacist, letting them know all the over-the-counter and prescription drugs you're on to avoid an overdose. If possible, try mindfulness, ginger, turmeric, vitamin D, and other nontoxic measures for natural pain relief

89 air contaminants were found in a bottle of Febreeze Air Effects, including ethyl acetate, something toxic to the brain and nervous system, acetaldehyde, a known respiratory irritant and possible human carcinogen, and butylated hydroxytoluene, a preservative that's toxic to the immune system and suspected of messing with normal hormone levels. For a more natural air-freshening option, boil a pot of water with some orange peels, cloves, and cinnamon sticks, and leave it simmering on the stove for a while.

Avoid scented tampon and pad products, choose chlorine-free bleached or unbleached options

BPA is found in the linings of food cans, and it's used as a coating on receipts. The chemical is still used in some plastic products and as a flame retardant. Like BPA, phthalates have come under a lot of scrutiny in recent years, after studies revealed that boys born of women with high phthalate exposures suffered from abnormalities in their genitals. The chemicals interfere with testosterone and estradiol, a hormone that affects breast development. Studies have found that women who develop breast cancer have higher levels of certain types of phthalates than women who are cancer free.
Where they're found: Phthalates are used in a vast number of consumer products: flooring, shower curtains, synthetic leather, and other products made with PVC vinyl, where phthalates are used to keep the plastic flexible; in any product with a synthetic fragrance, where phthalates are used to keep the scent from dissipating; and nail polishes, paints, and furniture finishes, where phthalates keep the materials from chipping. They've also been detected in some plastic cling wraps and food containers, as well as pesticides.
Easiest ways to avoid them: Avoid anything with a synthetic fragrance, say "NO!" to vinyl products, and always store your food in glass, ceramic, or stainless steel containers.

Flame Retardants
What they do: These toxic, ubiquitous chemicals are most known for their impact on the thyroid and on female infertility. Because thyroid hormones also have an impact on your brain, one class of flame retardants, known as PBDEs, is thought to affect the IQ levels in children, which is why many chemicals in this class have been banned or are being gradually phased out. However, the replacements being used are just as toxic and exhibit the same biological activity as organophosphate pesticides.
Where they're found: Furniture, carpet padding, and even baby nursing pillows contain them. Assume that anything in your home—and your office and your car—that contains polyurethane foam also contains flame retardants. Other major exposure sources include electronics: TVs, computers, cellphones, and video game consoles.
Easiest way to avoid them: Dust and vacuum frequently. It's nearly impossible to avoid flame retardants, given their widespread use, so cleaning is your best defense. Flame retardants bind to dust as the furniture, car-seat padding, and electronics in which they're used break down.

Mercury
What it does: Another metal that does double the damage, mercury is a potent neurotoxin that impairs children's IQ levels. But EWG found that it also binds to a hormone that regulates women's menstrual cycles and ovulation, and it damages cells in the pancreas that produce insulin, the hormone that regulates your blood sugar levels.
Where it's found: Primarily found in seafood, mercury winds up in the environment from industrial sources, the largest of which are coal-fired power plants.
Easiest way to avoid it: Stick with low-mercury seafood choices, such as wild Alaskan salmon and farmed trout, along with seafood that's low on the food chain, such as sardines and anchovies. In general, the smaller the fish, the less contaminated it is.

Perfluorinated Chemicals, or PFCs
What they do: PFCs—which you'll recognize through trade names as Teflon and Stainmaster—have been studied most for their impact on thyroid function and their links to hypothyroidism. The chemicals are also thought to cause infertility in both men and women. One possible reason for that, at least in women, comes from recent research in animals, which suggests that the chemicals inhibit a woman's ovaries from producing eggs.
Where they're found: PFCs are used to make your pots and pans nonstick and your clothes, upholstery fabric, carpets, backpacks, and coats water- and stain-repellent. The chemicals are also used to repel grease in food packaging like pizza boxes, fast-food wrappers, microwave popcorn bags, and pet-food bags.

Easiest ways to avoid them: Avoid all of the above! Keep an eye out for anything that utilizes "Gore-Tex," "Stainmaster," or "Teflon," all trademarks for chemical mixtures that contain PFCs. 

Some of these ingredients are so foreign sounding, you can't even pronounce them, let along spell them. I intend to copy them onto a piece of paper and carry it in my wallet so I glance at it next time I'm buying anything.  Just hope I can remember to do this.

Went to the doctor this morning and surprise surprise, I did test positive for something being wrong after I did the exercises I was asked to perform.  I got some neck x-rays as they have to do that before ordering MRIs and she wants me to try a couple sessions of physical therapy.  I was advised to use ice packs, heat, and pain pills only when I really really need it.

I've been very uncomfortable all day but I had a bad night too.  They probably took ten views of my neck and I've got my fingers crossed on what the film will show.  I know I don't want to walk down the surgery road.

I came home to find the neighbor's cat sitting on my front porch.  This after I placed rocks on their perch under a nearby bush they had been favoring to watch the birds.  It's been raining steadily for hours. Even when it was snowing yesterday, I had quite a few birds and hummingbirds visiting the feeders all day long.

I watched a few episodes of House of Cards last night.  Only two left and I'll watch them today.  Some parts were absolutely disgusting!  I could  have done without the vice president doing a 3-way and the lesbians making love.  I don't know why those stupid writers can't just stick to good ole fashion murder, bribery, graft, and theft.

And I apologize to those twenty people I sent a chain letter to yesterday.  I won't do that again.

Made a quick run to Walgreens after leaving the doctor's office as I had some reprints to pick up.  Saw two cop cars parked in the parking lot frisking a teenager.  On the way to the doctor, I had to pull over as two copy cars approached with sirens and lights ablaze.  They were tearing up the road pretty fast.
Speaking of which....I came across car racing on tv yesterday and found it pretty interesting. I don't watch Nascar races but I have always loved car races in person.  I think if I had a high def tv, it would have been even better.

Well, gotta go read some of my brother's book that he's posted online.  Also want to look over Patti Walden's pictures some more.  Am expecting a new frying pan from UPS today. Once it arrives, I'm takin' a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment