My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Computer settings drive me crazy

When I moved away from Gupster Road, I decided to quit writing on Gupster Granny blog and start a new one. Unfortunately, I didn't understand all the mechanics of starting a fresh blog and now I tolerate (impatiently) the frustration of having to log in and out again if I get an email I want to read.
My Gmail account is set up so that an incoming email flag pops up in the right corner bottom of my screen. It tells me who wrote the email and the first sentence they wrote.  If it's something I want to read right away, I have to log off in the middle of my blog writing, sign out, and then sign in to my Gmail.  When I want to go back to my blog, I reverse the steps.

If I had put this blog (and the alumni blog) under the same email address as Gupster, I wouldn't be dealing with this.  Too late now to switch it and they won't let me delete Gupster  for some reason.  Can't delete 'Be True to your school' on the Leader website either.  Anyhow..... just another aggravation of the computer world.

Apparently our condo on the ocean shore has WIFI so Mary said I could bring my laptop if I wanted to.  I'm thinking I won't, however.  This beach vacation will be a time to visit with the grandkids, two daughters and two sons-in-law.  Whether they like it or not!  I did make a library run today and picked up four magazines to bring along---Writer's Digest and Psychology Today. 

I also picked up four books -- All creatures great and small (which I've read) but this book I'm reading about selling nonfiction books suggests reading his. So I'm going to do just that.  Yvonne had an interesting book on her coffee table that I decided to check out once she returned it to the library. Three men in a boat by Jerome K. Jerome.  My two "browsing around" books that I picked up were "Dark Star, The Roy Orbison Story" and "First Lady" by Michael Malone. (murder mystery).

Two books arrived in the mail from half.com.  "The way I see it" by Patty Davis (Ronald Reagon's daughter) and one I lent to Jenni -- "Confessions of a prairie bitch".  We're both fans of Little House on the Prairie and this book was written by "Nellie."  I'm still waiting on a book written by Mary of Little House. I'm thinking of ordering "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed.  Ebay has a listing for this book under "Trade Cloth" but I don't know what that means.  The library has 45 requests for it so I decided not to go that route.

I watched parts of the convention last night. Won't watch Ryan's speech tonight, though. Just not interested.  I like Chris Christie. At least his speeches don't put you to sleep.  We've become a world of criticizing everybody over everything.  He was criticized for speaking over 15 minutes before he said Romney's name.  Silly critics! We all knew who he was there to speak for. Grow up you idiots!  I kind of enjoyed the "people watching" we got to do as the camera scanned the crowd. That was actually the best part for me.

Later on in the evening, my channel surfing had me stopping at PBS for a historical piece on Will Rogers.  He was a much bigger personality than I originally thought.  Sat with presidents, kings, etc. and was often urged to run for president.  Mickey Rooney commented a couple of times.  They showed a picture of Mickey at about age 10 with Will.  Very intereresting.  The next show was on Mark Twain.  That was pretty good too. Told of him going bankrupt at one point in his life.

One of the saddest stories I heard yesterday was that young bride who was posing in the river with her wedding dress and drowned as the currents came in and took her away.  The photographer was beside himself because he wasn't able to save her.  What a hell of a way to die!  Right after being married. I guess it's become the latest fad now....to pose in unusual settings in your dress because it's something you only wear once.

I spent the afternoon sewing and pressing little quilt squares together. I'll have the 12th large square done today so I can start sewing them together for the twin size quilt I plan to make. It will probably need a border and I'm wondering if I can use the large squares I have set aside to make borders going around. Might be a little too busy,though.

This is why downsizing is hard for me....  I noticed I was out of thread on almost all my bobbins so I set about winding them with thread from these older "little wood" spools I had in a large bag I got at a yard sale.  They didn't hold a lot of thread so they became empty quickly.
If I could just toss them in the trash I'd be okay but noooooooo.....they're special. They have to go with the other spools in the garage that I can't throw away.
I know there has to be somebody out there who could use spools for a project or for kids to play with or something......

I got two interesting emails this week.  One from Linda Farina with video attached of Steve Frayne.
I went to YouTube to look him up and there are several of him doing magic tricks.  Fascinating. Go there yourself and watch them.  Would love to know how he does it.

The other email was about bee stings.  I hope I remember this.  When you're stung, tape a penny to the sting spot and overnight the pain and swelling is gone.

Yesterday afternoon there were about 8 to 10 kids riding up and down in front of my window on trikes, bikes, scooters, and motorized scooters.  The activity was pure hell for poor Sammy as he sat at the open window and watched and heard the fun going on.  If only he could be trusted to not run off, I'd love to let him play in the front but alas.....he's a bad bad boy when he's off leash.

When I picked the kids up at Discovery Bay Monday, I took them over to their house and Sammy was very happy to see them.  At one point, he managed to get out the front door as we were bringing stuff in.  I figured he'd just run to my open car door and hop in thinking he was going to my place but he had other ideas.  As I looked up, he was like a streak of greased lightning disappearing around the neighbor's house across the street.

Hunter  was mad because he had to go retrieve him and then I was mad because I didn't appreciate the tone of voice he used asking me why I let him loose.  Once that dog is out the door and free, he does not hear any commands from those who love him.  He's got places to go and dogs to sniff.

Time to get busy around here.  I brought in four solar garden lights that haven't been working as I check them in the early morning hours when I'm up walking through the house trying to shake out yet another foot/ankle cramp.  I'm hoping new batteries will do the trick.

I also need to Google blogs about downsizing.  There's a  ton of stuff out there to read. It's no wonder I'm addicted to my laptop.

I've been talking to myself a lot lately.  In the house and in the car.  I suppose I should be concerned but I'm not.  At least I'm listening to someone who interests me and doesn't interrupt.  And talking to yourself in the car can be a positive thing.  It's easy to get distracted when driving and talking out loud to say stuff like "okay...clear to the left....clear to the right..." is safe driving in my opinion.

Okay. Enough rambling for a while. The laundry needs folding, the quilt squares need sewing, and I need lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment