My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Watching an old flick

I thought it would be fun to watch a horror movie with the kids so I hunted around on my Roku channels to see if the old Sissy Spacek movie "Carrie" was available. Unfortunately, the only place I could find it was Amazon so I streamed it in for $3.

I'd forgotten that the opening scene was teenage girls in the shower during their PE class. They both started to giggle because the movie was rated R and body parts were showed.  I thought to myself:
"Oh, let's get through this nonsense and get to the gory parts."   I'm such a bad Gramma.

Hunter lost interest almost immediately and went back to the computer. Maddie stayed to watch and it was interesting to hear her comments...

Why do those boys have wide pant legs?
Those are bellbottoms. That was the style. I even had a pair.

Oh. This movie is really old, isn't it?
Yeah, it came out about 39 years ago. Your mom was about three.

The girls sure had curly hair.
Yeah, that was the style too. I even wore curlers to bed every night in the 60's.

You did?
Yeah, you had to do it to be cute and I really wanted to be cute. 

Do you think I should wear my hair straight or curly for the school pictures we're having taken tomorrow.

Definitely curly. I like you in curly hair. Why do you have to have your picture taken before school even starts?
They want them for the yearbook.

I looked up some of the facts on IMDB about Carrie. (It's something I always do these days). This film got a ton of nominations and awards. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie were both nominated for Oscars in the best actress and best supporting actress categories. Beatrice Straight and Faye Dunaway (both in Network) beat them out, though.

Also read that Amy Irving (who was one of the teenagers in the movie) was married to Steven Spielberg for about four years from '85 to '89 and when they divorced, she was awarded $100 million.
Good Grief!

Also read about John Travolta (another teen in the movie):

Travolta's first California-filmed television role was as a fall victim in, Emergency! (in September 1972, but his first significant movie role was as Billy Nolan, a bully who was goaded into playing a prank on Sissy Spacek's character in the horror film, Carrie (1976).[Around the same time, he landed his star-making role as Vinnie Barbarino in the TV sitcom Welcome Back, Kotter (1975–1979), in which his sister, Ellen, also occasionally appeared (as Arnold Horshack's mother).

Well, I never did get any sewing done today. Maybe I'll get started now.

No comments:

Post a Comment