My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Heat's a comin'

I can't say that I'm eager to have the temp gauge shoot up into the 90's but I'll deal with it. I've already started.  Hunter helped me push the a/c unit from the back bedroom to my bedroom and that baby cools down a room like nobody's fool.
He's such a huge help to me.  From past experience, I've had problems draining the water tray underneath the unit. You have to check on it every few hours. I forget how many they recommend. Maybe 8 to10? Anyhow, it fills up quickly and  there's a plug to pull out and the water begins to stream out immediately. The plug is right next to the floor so getting down there is hard and getting a low pan under it is even harder. We discovered a couple years ago that if we lifted the a/c unit to sit on a table, access to the plug was much easier. Today, Hunter rigged up a little hose to the plug nozzle and has it sitting in a nearby bucket so all I have to do is dump the water in the bucket into the sink.  Saves me a whole lot of stress about worrying over water soaking the carpet.

The living room gets the afternoon sun and even though I have three fans going in there, it still gets a tad uncomfortable. He put a blanket over the largest window and I intend to leave it there until the heat spell has come and gone. 

If it gets as hot as I think it's going to, I'll spend the worst of it in my bedroom reading and watching television and doing cross stitch and crocheting.  I have a lot of books I want to catch up on anyhow.

Hunter also sprayed several  bees nests under the house eaves.  They sometimes get to swarming so bad on the deck, you can't sit out there. 

We made a run to the bread store and the dollar store to pick up a few items, and then I sat down to sew some quilt squares together and watch old Andy Griffith episodes on Netflix.  I usually don't feel like sewing when it gets too hot.

Not too much on my calendar for the rest of the week. Chiropractor tomorrow morning and Clallam County Fair on Saturday morning.  Sunday I'm heading into Sequim to have lunch with Lew Morello at the 101 Diner and Wednesday, my cousin from Gig Harbor "might" drop in on her way back from the Hoh Forest.

Next Thursday (the 23rd) I'll drive the twins and two of their friends to the Silverdale Mall to meet up with Mary. She's taking them on their annual camping trip to Lake Cushman.  I'll pick them up at Fat Smitty's on the 27th  for the return trip so her and Andy don't have to drive all the way up to Port Angeles.

Well, back to the kitchen to see if I can't finish that crossword puzzle. I gave up on the AARP magazine puzzle because it was too hard and I didn't feel like looking everything up.  I got up at 5:45 a.m. this morning so I probably won't last much past 9 but I'm hoping.  I really want to watch a few more disks of Weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment