My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, June 28, 2013

Last weekend of June is here

I've been a busy little bee this morning and it's not even 10 a.m. yet.  Ran down to the local grocery store to fill up on gas (for my Sunday trip to Tacoma);mailed a "just because" present to granddaughter Catie in Renton; cleaned out a closet and made a new junk box; brought the fans in from the garage in anticipation of the heat wave supposedly on its way; worked a bit on editing my book; and started my day with a hot breakfast.  Blah...blah...blah...

I noticed on my short trip to the gas station that it felt muggy already.  I took my folding cardboard cutting board for sewing and stuck it in my bedroom window as an extra screen against the heat and light coming in.  I've got four fans plus two hand-held fans, and if things get ugly -- a stand-up air conditioner that you attach to the window while thumbing your nose at mama nature.  I'm wise to her tricks.

Today, my sister-in-law, Lill Greenwood, is 62 years young.  Here's some photos from my collection:
Dana & Lill on their wedding day in 1975

 Dana & Lill in front of the pink house posing after their cross-country bike ride from N.H.
                     Me,Dana, Dad, Lill, and Mary after completing the Rhody Run
 Lill trying out a bike I had at the time in Green Acres Mobile Home Park in Sequim
Lill in downtown Port Townsend at the end of town where all the action is now. At least compared to the old days when the main activity was when Salmon Derby fish were weighed in at this spot.

Called Hunter to see about hiring him to cut my lawn but  the grandparents in this town also depend on his young body & strength so I have to share him with Grandpa Ed.  Hunter plans to weed eat his grass (at his old house) which is probably four feet high.  Saturday or Sunday he'll mosey over my direction and cut down the clover.  I just may go out there today and do the front, though.  It might be too warm later on for Hunter to do the front and back both.

Jenni's already told the twins that they will be expected to drive their grandparents wherever they need to go, if and when the time comes that we need help getting around.   I'll have to wait another three years, though.  The twins will be 13 next month.

Well, I guess if I'm going to get any yard work done at all, I'd best put on my garden shoes and trot myself out there.

Trivia:
The tooth is the only part of  the human body that cannot heal itself.
 
If  you get into the bottom of a well or a tall chimney and look up, you can see stars, even in the middle of the day.  (I wonder if this is true; maybe I'll test it out)
 
When a person dies, hearing is the last sense to go. The first sense lost is sight. (I don't think I'll test this one out, though)
And for my son-in-law, Andy Krogermeier, who returns to the states today.....
 





Later:
Took me close to half an hour but I did get the front lawn cut. As I was dumping the wheelbarrow full of grass in the lot across the street, I disturbed two HUGE snakes.  Yes, I screamed.  And I'm not going in that field again any too soon.

 Time to tackle the ironing. It's only t-shirts but I take pride in what I wear. (That's a joke)

No comments:

Post a Comment