My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Whew! It's hot!

It's only 9 a.m. but I knew when I got up at 6 that today was going to be a hot one. I've got a thermometer in my window out front (the suction kind) and while it isn't accurate because the sun is shining on it right now, it does register 115.
I filled up the bird bath in the back yard (had emptied it to discourage the crows) but decided birds need water too.  I filled up one in the front and grabbed a garbage can lid to make a third drinking spot.

That blue-flowered bush on the left is sure popular with the bees.  There are two more on the curb, and I think a neighbor in the alley has one that is a full-blown tall tree.   While on the deck watering my flowers, I noticed a hummingbird fly in for this flower.
It hadn't even blossomed as of yesterday and I was THRILLED because I wasn't real sure what the plants were. Now I know I've got a whole bunch of them growing in other pots on my porch along with the one my friend, Vivian in Sequim, gave me last week.  I can't wait till they're all red and hummingbirds discover them.
I got up early and showered and curled my hair and got on my "going-to-the-wedding" clothes but then the phone rang and it was Mary, my drive-along companion saying she was going to have to decline as she had a headache and was worried about dealing with the heat.  I must admit, I was worried too.

I'm back in my shorts now, minus the earrings and bra and I'm sitting here with the fan hitting me as I
sigh contentedly that I'm not going to be on the highway for four hours today.  I do intend to drive to Tacoma another day, though, as I want to visit my cousin, Ann.  I think her place is near the Narrows Bridge and I can handle that.

Plans for today are to work on genealogy a bit, edit my book a bit, surf the net a bit, and retire to my recliner to watch Netflix and movies.  I've started watching The Sopranos again and am almost through season 1.

Well, that's it for this last day of June.  My next trip will be to Port Townsend on July 13th for Les Walden's 70th birthday party at the Legion.  Everyone welcome, by the way.  They're hoping to raise money for a new pool table for the Legion.  You should come (1 to 4). 

Off to the kitchen now. I think I'm going to make some iced coffee AND iced tea.  Stay cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment