My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Out of Town

Saturday morning I drove to Gig Harbor or somewhere around that area and then Jenni took over the wheel and drove the rest of the way to Mary and Andy's house in Renton.  Maddie went with us and we stayed the night. The following morning, Jen drove to Gig Harbor and then I took over for the rest of the drive home. Tiring day.  Didn't get home until 2 pm as we had to make a few stops along the way.

The next morning I picked up Linda and Joanne and I drove to Silverdale so we could visit Ruth for a while. She's looking better but still has a lot of therapy ahead, I think.  Her left arm is pretty useless and she needs assistance to get out of bed and into her wheelchair.  Having spent one night in a nursing home myself a while back, I know the frustration of having to wait for someone to come and help you.  Ruth doesn't put up with any nonsense, though, and she starts hollaring for someone to come and help her if she has to sit too long. She has a very loud alarm on her bed that goes off if she falls out of bed or attempts to get out on her own. She's threatened to get herself down to the floor and crawl to the hallway if she has to wait too long for assistance.  I suspect she'd do it too.

The baby shower for Jacob was especially nice.  We ended up sitting out on the deck when Mary and Andy opened gifts.  It actually got a tad warm out there.  Mary's gang from Port Townsend worked on planning and hosting the shower and they did a bang up job.  Wonderful food, fun decorations, and over the top gift baskets for the guests who won drawings.

                                                       Kim,Shari,Candi,Jenny,Mary, Tami
                             Keith & Kevin Sawka, Mary's cousins who came from West Seattle
                                           Rosemary Keene (Mary's aunt) holding Jake
                                                           me, Jocelyn, and Catie
                                   Keith's daughters on staircase with Maddie and Catie
                  Jenni changing Jake next to wall art Mary and Andy put up in the nursery

                                                      Onesies decorating the fireplace
                            Andy on the front porch trying to stay out of the way
                                             Various friends from here and there
                                                                     Gifts galore
                                  Candi and Jenni finishing up some last minute decorating
                                Mary and Tami on the stairs admiring the "prince"
                                   Jenny and Candi fixing decorations over the refreshments
                                                               More guests enjoying the sun

I was too tired to stay up Sunday night and watch the Grammys so I taped it and then ended up fast forwarding through almost the whole show.   Beyonce led off the program by shaking her butt at everyone.
I found it disgusting.  Ha Ha  Yeah, I'm just jealous.  Still, though....it was too much and she obviously thinks very highly of herself.

I did like Taylor Swift's performance (and I usually don't much care for her music). I had to chuckle, though, when they made a to-do later of her response at not winning.  Paul McCartney and Ringo were pretty good but Ringo by himself didn't impress me all that much.  I always look forward to the oldtimers getting a tiny part in the show and this year it was Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard, and Blake Shelton.
Willie, Kris, and my beloved Merle are all gettin' old and sadly, none of them sounded all that great.  Not sure why they even put Blake in there with them except to maybe make the songs not sound as bad as they actually were.  Too bad too 'cause Kris and Merle used to be the best entertainment around.

I rented two movies from Red Box this morning and watched them this afternoon.  Last Vegas and Capt. Phillips.  I thought for sure I was going to enjoy the Vegas flick but it fell flat. Only two things made me laugh and they were both from Morgan Freeman.  Glad I only paid a dollar to see them.  Capt. Phillips with Tom Hanks was excellent.  Why he didn't get a nomination is pure politics I think.  The Oscars often end up like that, though.  Those who should get the nod often don't.

After visiting Ruth yesterday, Linda, Joanne, and I went to Red Robin for lunch.  Really good sandwich but their clam chowder was only so-so.  I always like clam chowder but theirs was kind of watered down.  I was exhausted when I fell in bed last night and had planned to sit around all day today  Ended up running five errands, though.

I don't think I have anything else planned.  Superbowl on Sunday, of course.  Probably work on my jigsaw a bit and my quilt squares.  Should probably climb on that exercise bike too as my knees have been paining me quite a bit.  I wonder if it's the rainy weather.  Well, I think that's it for now.  I wasn't going to blog today as I couldn't get in the mood to sit down and type but I wasn't in the mood to listen to the president's speech either.  He should be done pretty soon.

Pigeons are continuing to stake out my bird seed area at the bottom of the yard.  I chase them off every time they land.  I'm also chasing off the neighbor's cats -- one who brazenly walks across my back porch and tries to hit the hanging feeder with her paw.

No comments:

Post a Comment