My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Rainy day. Good time to shop

I picked up the twins and took them to school at 9 a.m. and decided since I was already out and about, I might as well hit Walmart across town.  I browsed around looking at this and that.  Was irritated to find their fat squares in the material department were selling for 97 cents a piece.  I had just paid $1.99 a piece at Joanne's.  Hate it when that happens.  Especially when I buy 15 of them!

I picked up some Greek yogurt as I heard it was better for you.  Then I threw a can of Spam in my basket. How's that for a conflict of interest?    I thought about buying a Seahawks t-shirt which were on display just as you walk in the door but they were $15 and $20 and all they had was black and dark blue.  I might have bought one if the colors were lighter.  I already have a lot of black and dark blue shirts. I'm sure they'll sell, though.

I headed for the underpants department and that sure took a while.  You can't just wear any old brief when you're 70 and used to a certain style that you've worn all your life.  Must have been a lot of women my size thinking the same thing because I searched for quite a while until I found what I wanted. Yeah, I share everything on this stupid blog.

I wasn't going to but I picked up a bag of bird seed and came home and filled six of the feeders in the backyard.  I've been thinking about getting a dog.  I do this every few months and then I back out. Decide that the costs would probably hurt my budget a bit.  Also kind of worry about vet bills. It's hard enough to pay my own medical insurance obligations. Still..... there are days when I think I really want a dog.  Not a little one especially.  Maybe medium to large.  Not large large but golden retriever size or smaller.

I always notice dogs waiting in cars when I go out shopping somewhere.  More than once I've wished I had a dog waiting for me in my car.  Sometimes I tell myself that having a dog would make me get out and walk more.  It might but then again, it might not.  I can deal with picking up poop but wouldn't relish having a dog that went in the house. 

Every time I watch the championship dog shows, my longing for a dog kicks in again.  Course I go through the same thing when the Golden Globe and Oscars come on and I think I need to see every picture nominated.  I'll just have to wait and see how this evolves.  I talked about getting a dog the minute I retired, and here I am retired for over ten years and I even have a fenced yard.  Perhaps I don't really want the responsibility.  I'll think on it some more.

I was looking through my book collection this morning and came across some that I forgot I had. I've got one battered paperback from 1968 called 'Who's Who in TV'.   It's always interesting to leaf through and see those stars of the past.  Also came across a little book of Shakespeare's play "As you like it."    It's hardbound and called a pocket classic. This particular volume is 1909. I've never read it but I like having old books around.

A 1959 paperback called 'The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner' looks pretty good and I've heard of it before so I think I'll put it by my bed to start when I finish the John Grisham novel I'm into right now.

I posted a short note on Facebook this morning complaining about reality tv shows and how stupid they are.  I have never understood why 'The Bachelor' continues to get the press it does season after season.  It's so degrading to women, I can't understand why women like it.  Maybe I'd feel different if they did an actual reality show of women looking for men and used women that were older, fatter, and not phony baloney like the dames we see on the show now. 

I could get involved in a show like that.  Especially if they used a bachelor who was just a plain ole bachelor and not someone good looking with money.  When I stopped to buy a couple of bagels at Safeway this morning (I only pick up two if they're two for a dollar--- if they put the price back up to 59 cents a piece, it pisses me off!)  Anyhow, the girl behind the counter said hello and asked me if she could help me find something.  I told her:  Well, I'm kind of looking for a boyfriend. Can you help with that?

She laughed and told me I didn't need one; I only thought I did.    As I was leaving the store, I saw an old lady sitting waiting for the bus.  I thought I would do a good deed and asked her if she wanted me to give her a lift.   She told me she would love that but she had called dial-a-ride and if she wasn't there, they'd yell at her and she'd get in trouble.  hee hee

Anyhow, back to reality tv....some of those shows are kind of entertaining. At least for a while.  I've never watched Duck Dynasty but I know a lot of people who love it.  Maybe I'll give it a try sometime and see if I'm missing anything.  Hoarders can be fascinating because you know that is real.
No one could stage a scene like they show.  And they're AWFUL!  Perhaps I'm too critical but I never once felt pity for those people who allow cameras to come in and see how they live.  And I'm especially disgusted when they allow a whole crew to clean up the joint!  Lazy, lazy, lazy.

Dog the Bounty Hunter cracks me up every single time I come across it.  I won't come across it anymore since I cancelled a lot of my cable channels to save money but I did get several chuckles from that guy and his wife.  I think because they act so sincere and serious. Maybe they're putting us all on.  If so, that's pretty  good acting.

I used to follow Survivor but after a few years, I got sick of hearing OH...MY.....GOD!!!!  This was after they were given some feast to dine on.  I don't call that surviving.  I bet I could tune in and still hear those words.  I also didn't like the back stabbing but I guess that's what ratings are all about.  Seems like my daughter always enjoyed Big Brother and I never could figure out why.  I think it's an age thing.

I have never once watched The Kardashians and I never will.  If they even start to discuss them on a talk show, the channel gets changed.  Jerry Springer and Maury, of course, prostitute themselves every single day.  Their studio audience is always full of people who need to move to Russia. 

I've watched American Pickers, Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, Pregnant at 16, Honey Boo Boo, Yukon Men, and Alaska, the Last Frontier.  Except for Alaska, which I even watch reruns of on Netflix, most of those shows get tiresome with the same ole dialogue.  Even some of my favorite situation comedies are coming up short lately.  Sometimes when the kids start growing up, the story lines aren't as funny or they're just the same ole stuff.

Modern Family, for example, always made me laugh out loud every week and I still laugh at the reruns but the new stuff...not so much.  When I think about what shows I would probably miss if I cancelled my cable altogether, it would probably be Wheel of Fortune, a lot of the news programs, certain sports like championship football, world series, the Olympics, and various shows on PBS.
Oldies like Leave it to Beaver, The Waltons, Little House, Andy Griffith, etc. always get at least a few minutes of my time -- even if I've seen them a hundred times already.

I'll follow several shows for a while but it seems like sooner or later, the plots are much the same.  If I could afford it, I'd subscribe to HBO and Showtime but for now, I'm content with watching a lot of them on Netflix.  The computer has become a wealth of entertainment too as you can view a whole lot of television as well as old tv shows on YouTube.

Well, blah blah blah.  I guess I've ranted long enough today.  Think I'll go work on my jigsaw and finish listening to the book I started....The Great Gatsby.  It's pretty good.  There are a of authors that I have never read but always meant to.  Books on tape helps.

I only saw one person that I knew when I was out shopping today.  Brian McConaghy was working in the cell phone store at Walmart.  This picture didn't come out very clear, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment