My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Still dealing with our electronic world

My cell phone and I have been having an ongoing battle because it insists on turning my ring down or off without being instructed to.  Every time I set the ring on high, I can go back later and see it's changed it self to low.  Naturally, this means I'm missing calls unless the phone is sitting right next to me all the time.  I just might start wearing it around my neck like I did when I was laid up. At least until Mary or Andy can play around with it and see what the problem is.

I've got the ring set for "old time ring" like the phones used to sound in days past.  No chance on me not hearing it or getting the sound mixed up with the television set.  On the other hand, depending on if the phone is on low or high sound, it can go off in the car and almost make you run off the road in fright.  I played around with it last night (again) to try and figure out how to keep it from making a noise everytime someone posted on Facebook or sent me a message.  That can be very annoying if you live alone and the house is generally quiet.  It's even worse if you put the phone by your bed at night to charge it and the damn thing keeps buzzing or flashing.  Electronics are hard on old people!
I thought I'd try a "doorbell" sound for "notifications" but I quickly changed that when it went off this morning and I ran to the door. First though, I had to run to the window to see who was on the porch 'cause I didn't want to open it and find a killer there.  Yeah, I watch too much tv sometimes.  ha ha

This morning my scanner/printer decided to start making noise out of the blue.  I looked at the screen and it registered it was scanning something in black and white.  Well, I know I didn't touch it so what's the deal here?  I turned it off in disgust!

Yesterday I was on Facebook and thought I would see if I could figure out how to set my settings so I didn't have a couple of people's posts always showing up on my newsfeed.  There are a few who just annoy the hell out of me.  I thought I was fixing it but this morning I found I had 32 messages and usually I have anywhere from 2 to 12.  And this is usually after I've posted a picture and got some comments.  The 32 messages were just people posting so now I'm going to have to go back again and see what I did.  The help section on FB is hit and miss as far as I'm concerned.    I know I can "unfriend" somebody but I don't really want to go that far (unless I'm really ticked off!)  ha ha

I was thinking about mounting my cardinal bird puzzle onto a mat today.
When I looked a little closer at the three pictures I picked up at the thrift store to use as a backing form, I realized I might not want to cover them up with a puzzle.  On the other hand, to frame them and put them on my wall will cost me more money, and framing isn't one of my talents.  The first one is three girls and it's even enclosed in plastic so I could frame it easy enough and have a clean looking piece for my wall.
I really do like that picture.  The second one is a picture of waves at the beach.
When I bought it (for a dollar I think) I was only paying attention to the size and strength of the cardboard. I thought it would work as a  good puzzle backing but now I'm thinking I really don't want to lose that neat picture.
The third was a larger picture that I thought I could cut down to size but when I stopped to really look at it, I wondered if covering it was what I really wanted. (click on pic to enlarge)  I knew I didn't actually want to hang that in my house but I did think it was interesting. I googled it and found there is such a place in Artemus, PA. There was a whole article about it.

I stayed in bed until almost 9 a.m. this morning. I thought maybe it would allow me to not need a nap later in the day.  Most of the time I just get up because my body hurts to continue to lay there.  For whatever reason, that wasn't the case today and I let myself go back to sleep.  Always interesting to
wake up and remember those weird morning dreams.  I really ought to be writing them down immediately before they leave my consciousness.  This morning I was a very busy girl.  A whole lot of people were in this dream.  Some I knew. Some I didn't.  Two gay guys showed up intending to share this small mountain cabin with me and my husband.  I'm always pissed off when my ex husband shows up and we're still married.  Ha ha 

Anyhow, one of the gay guys wanted to move his mother in, as well.  I objected because he wanted the main bedroom and I had paid for the cabin.  Who knows where the hell that came from!  There were several other people at the cabin too.  Mary and Andy's baby who stood up in his crib, found the specific pacifier he wanted and stuck it in his mouth and went back to sleep.  I kept after my oldest daughter to clean her room and no matter how I tried, my laundry pile continued to grow as visitors kept coming to the cabin.  Dreams can be more interesting than real life sometimes.

Well, the mailman just rang my doorbell and the present from Mary G. is here for Mary and Andy's baby. I'll take the gift over on Saturday.  Also got my SS income tax paper so maybe I'll see if Mary can work me in to her schedule to get my taxes done in the next couple of months.

I may take a stroll through Serenity House and/or Goodwill today to see if I can't find a couple more pieces of cardboard backing to use for puzzle mounting.

2 comments:

  1. I would have totally taken that Road Kill Cafe sign! Mom had one when I was growing up and I loved it! If you ever see one again I'd love to have it.

    Love you, Nana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn! I would have given you that poster gladly but too late. I cut it up for my puzzle backing. It's doubtful I'll find another, Ha Ha And why am I not surprised that your mom would have had one.

    ReplyDelete