My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, March 24, 2014

The Parrot Whisperer

Mary sent me a picture of Jacob sitting in his bouncing chair? gazing at this parrot she'd attached.  She got a kick out of him not batting an eye as he stared the bird down.
Kids' toys, clothes, and equipment have changed so much over the years.  I notice everything from diapers to bottles to walkers to strollers. You name it. It's different. Much nicer too.  And expensive! Found some pictures to illustrate what I mean.
 This was the kind of walker my kids used when they were little. They could be dangerous as they had a tendency to tip over if anything got in the way.  I'd just set the kid up again, say "you're okay", and they'd be off.
 In the summer of 1967, Sue rode a plastic trike and played with inflatable toys like Gumby. Mary used a infant seat that had no handle and you didn't strap them in with seat belts.  The stroller was a basic chair with an umbrella but I was mighty happy to have it.
 Here's Wayne taking a spinner chair? out of my truck in 2000. Luckily, Jenni and Mary both had a lot of things given to them as the kids would outgrow them quickly.
Jenni's twin stroller in 2001  was quite different from the one I used to push her around, and the one Mary has for Jacob is even fancier yet.

Going back several years, I found these photos in family albums....
 My dad and his twin sitting with their mother, two sisters, and brother. The buggy in the background I'm betting got a lot of use.
 This wagon for my dad and his brother was probably made by their dad.
 I'm thinking this is probably my cousin Joan in 1930 with her mother, Elva Arey
And cousin Arlie used this stroller in 1938.

Well, it's almost time for 'Dancing with the Stars' so I'll cut this short. Going to sleep in the recliner with a neck brace thingie. Got my fingers crossed that it will allow me to get some shut-eye. Fun day tomorrow. Get to step on the scales at the doctors office and then let her look at me naked. Oh, the joy she must have in her job.

No comments:

Post a Comment