My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Best Ever!




I just finished reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.  (Thanks Kris for recommending it)

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this book.  One of the best I've ever read.  And I'd never heard of this author or this book before.  Come to find out (once I Googled her) that I'd recently read one of her other books and loved it too-- Half Broke Horses.  I found this video on YouTube and was fascinated at getting to see her mom.  Actually kind of reminded me of my Aunt Velna in a way.  And sadly, my mother in other ways.

Years ago I read Carol Burnett's autobiography called 'One More Time'. I was impressed the way she wrote of her early life and told how it was having a mom that was less than perfect yet still writing in such a way so as not  to belittle her mom too much. That can be hard to do and I wrote Carol a fan letter about the book.  (and she wrote back)  But then I've mentioned that fact more than once over time.  Ha!

Anyhow, I intend to study a bit more on  Jeannette Walls. Her book sold over 2 million copies and she wrote it in 2005.  She kind of reminds me of Diane Westergaard in a way.  Not in the life she led but the way she talks and looks.  Great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment