My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Today is better...

I did sit down to post a blog last night but after reading it through, I decided that there probably wasn't one single person out there who wanted to hear about me having diarrhea all day. So I had a conversation with myself about  how living alone doesn't mean I need to share EVERYTHING online.  Social networks like email, Facebook, and blogs are a way for people who don't really get out and about much to connect with the world--even if it is just through cyberspace.  I've been a letter-writer all my life so communicating via a keyboard comes natural for me and I much prefer it over telephones a lot of the time. 

Visiting in person would require I fill up the tank and travel 100 miles round trip to my PT pals. I haven't really made many Port Angeles friends but then I haven't put much effort into it either. Most of the time I'm contented with  my own company. I suppose because I keep busy with hobbies, movies, writing, computer, etc.  I don't go to parties anymore. In fact I seldom go out at night at all, if I can help it.  I would if I had a boyfriend to drive me but that's probably not going to happen.  So.....here I sit blogging away to anybody who might click on my words and have an interest in what that ole dingbat is up to now.  Ha Ha

Well, back to my life...

I just took a loaf of bread out of the oven. I had to cut it in half as I altered the ingredients a bit and wasn't positive even cooking it longer was going to make the middle "not soggy."  It seems to be okay but I suppose it could have used another ten minutes.  It smells wonderful and tastes pretty darn good too.  I had almost a full can of whole berry cranberry sauce left over and I knew it would make a good bread.  My recipe also called for orange rind, orange juice, and walnuts. I just may bake some more for Xmas gifts.
I made an early morning trip down to Safeway to buy a can of enchillada sauce and once inside the store, I realized I need some fresh veggies too.  I spent close to $30 (HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?!) and then went across the street to Goodwill.  Only spent $6 there. Got a really cute green frog that is very soft and looks brand new. Even had all the tags on it yet.

I also picked up a large roll of Xmas wrap. Better price than even Walmart.  Tomorrow I'll start wrapping a few gifts.  I was going to mail out my Xmas postcards Wed. or Thurs. but when I went out to talk to the mail lady this morning to ask her opinion on the best way to mail off 70 postcards, she asked me if I wanted her to take them now so I said OK.  She handed me my mail and among the assortment of mostly catalogs was my first Xmas card of the season.  Candi Lopemen Johnson is always the first. I have all the cards Mary's friends have sent out over the years. Interesting (like Xmas letters) to see the changes taking place.

Candi and Dean's card this year toasts family members who have recently died. Maybe I'll scan it in as it's particularly nice. Picture first---greeting second...



I saw an ad on Facebook for a Xmas ornament the PT school is selling. Looked pretty nice so I ordered one.


Also saw a picture of my cousin, Linda, on her daughter's Facebook page. Wish she lived closer than KY so we could get together now and then.


I finished a table runner yesterday and sewed a few more squares on my latest quilt project.


I also finished listening to a audio book called Family History. It was pretty good. UPS guy brought me a book this morning that I ordered online called 'The Hunger Games.'  My granddaughter, Maddie, has been after me to please read it. So I'm going to. I'm halfway through Gail Davies' book and am finding it very interesting as well. Especially since she's hung out with all the people that I've loved for ages---Vince Gill, Emmylou Harris, Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton....all of them!

Got my electric bill and my cable bill today.  I've decided I really need to try and leave the heat off more. It wouldn't kill me to put on sweaters and wrap in blankets like I used to.  Need to see that bill to remind me.  I'm going to buy some lottery tickets tomorrow to rectify my financial situation that seems to worsen every December.  Christmas is partly to blame, of course, but most things cost more as well.  I looked up the most frequent numbers called on all the games and I'm going to buy one ticket for each game.  And yes, I'm completely aware that this is one stupid remedy but it's the way my mind works.

Well, I think I'll go finish watching the  movie that I couldn't stay up to finish last night. An oldie called 'The Next Voice you Hear.'  It was a 1950 flick starring James Whitmore and Nancy Reagan. Although she was Nancy Davis then. Love seeing the cars and furniture and sets of the old black and whites.  One of James Whitmore's pals is Tom D'Andrea, best known as Jim Gilles in the old tv series of Life of Riley. This movie has to do with God's voice coming over the radio.  Wish they'd show more of these 'never heard of relics.'

Politics is getting interesting again.  I never was that enthused about Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Rick Perry, or Mitt Romney.  Ron Paul was a little interesting but I felt he'd get run over eventually. I am interested in what Newt Gingrich has to say.  Sooner or later, somebody (probably Romney's group) will decide to dig up some dirt and see if they can't rub his nose in it.  I'm hoping he can weather the storm and I'm betting he will.  Let's face it. Most politicians these days all have some character flaws of some kind. They're only human.  I wonder if Abe Lincoln was a secret bad boy.  I'm betting no.

No comments:

Post a Comment