My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, November 11, 2011

Veterans Day

It's raining--it's pouring--the old man is snoring.  He bumped his head when he went to bed and he couldn't get up in the morning. 

I looked this up on Wikipedia just for the heck of it. They wrote these lines:

a children's book of the same name, written by Kin Eagle and illustrated by Rob Gilbert, expands on this rhyme to show what happens to the old man in all sorts of weather.


The rhyme is featured in the song "It's Raining," in the 1962 debut album by Peter, Paul, and Mary. Other rhymes in the song include "Ladybug," "Starlight, Starbright," and "Won't Be My Father's Jack."

"No More Tears (Enough is Enough)", a duet between Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer, is based around this song.

Jose Feliciano sang this as part of his release, "(Listen to the Falling) Rain".


At any rate, it's coming down hard right now. Good day to stay inside.  Am sooooo glad my trip to the mall was yesterday in the sunshine and not today.  I left the house around noon to go pick up the twins before stopping to pick up Mary Norton in Sequim. Filled up at Safeway and made a quick stop at the bank so the kids could say goodbye to their mom.  Our trip was uneventful until we got a few miles from the bridge and discovered it was open.  Grrrrr!  Hate it when that happens!

We continued on our way and parked near Penneys to do a little browsing.  I don't think I'm that much into malls anymore.  The prices seemed inflated and the walking was too much for my aging feet.  I've never been what you'd call a graceful walker but nowadays I seem to lumber along.  I see other people my age walking this way too--slow and a bit bent over and needing to sit down and rest.  Sigh.....

Catie was supposed to meet us at Target around 4:30 but traffic was snarled something fierce on her side of the water and she  couldn't make any headway at all.  I was stewing about having to sit for an hour or more and then drive home in the dark but I managed fine.  Mary guided me to a Denny's Restaurant that was a little closer for Catie than Silverdale Mall and she drove up about 5:40.  She'd already been on the road for three hours and had two hours left to get home.
Poor baby.  She decided to take the Bainbridge Ferry back as she was too tired to drive around.

I got home about 7:30 p.m. and was tired to the bone.  My right arm from the pneumonia shot was still throbbing so I ended up going to bed early and tossing and turning in pain all night.  I went in to the doctor this morning to "have a chat" about colonoscopy prep and then I headed out to Walmart to pick up the presciptions.  Thankfully, the pharmacy clerk told me I didn't actually need to spend money on those prescriptions as I could buy the exact same thing across the counter.  So I did.  Monday I take a couple pills, refrain from eating, mix this one bottle in a bottle of Gaterade and drink it off and on all day.  Then I'm suppose to wash it down with another bottle of Gaterade.  Then when I'm ready for bed, the fun begins and I get to lose a nights sleep visiting the toilet every hour.  I can hardly wait.  Am even more excited about the procedure on Tuesday morning.  On the plus side, at least it will be OFF MY LIST so I can quit stressing about it.

I did watch the Country Music Awards show that I had taped the night before.  As usual, most of it was boring.  Everybody pretty much sounds alike and few sound like country.  I fast forwarded through most only pausing for a bit on Vince Gill and Rascal Flatts.

My purchases at the mall didn't amount to much. I bought myself a paperback book and a crossword puzzle book at Barnes & Noble.  Also picked up a book for Hunter for Christmas and another book for Hunter and Maddie to read now.  When we stopped at the bank to see Jenni, she told us she'd been to her parent/teacher conference (the kids have the same teacher this year) and both got staight A's.

I bought a pair of sweatpants at Target but didn't buy much of anything else. I thought the prices were too high in a lot of areas.  The pants, for example, sell for $1.50 less at Walmart and they're the exact same pants.

While waiting for Catie to arrive, we went into Dairy Queen for ice cream.  Somehow or another the subject of songs came up and we all laughed when Maddie was singing a song by
Creedence Clearwater: (bad moon rising)
Don't go around tonight
Well it's bound to take your life
There's a bad moon on the rise

Maddie thought the last line was "There's a bathroom on the right."

I posted a short piece on my Leader blog yesterday--If I was rich.  Today I think I'll lay low and try to cope with this sore arm.  I'm not allowed to take any aspirin or ibroprofen because of the upcoming colonoscopy.  Apparently Tylenol is okay but seems like Tylenol often doesn't work for me.

I've got pants to hem, quilt squares to sew, Xmas postcards to address, and books to read. That ought to keep me busy.  Am also going to take a nap.  I haven't slept well the last couple nights and I'm wore out.

Here's a really cool picture I got in an email from George Cadero the other day.  I love New York!

No comments:

Post a Comment