My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, November 7, 2011

Daylight savings Time

Hunter just changed one of my clocks back that I forgot to reset.  Now if I can just get my body clock set. It usually takes a few days.  And I really HATE that it gets dark so dang early. This Thursday I'm taking the kids to Silverdale and Catie will pick them up at 4:30.  Luckily, Mary Norton is riding along because I'm already uncomfortable thinking about the drive home.  I can do night driving IF I HAVE TO but I really don't like it.  And if it's raining, I have even more problems.  I wonder if I can talk Mary into driving my car.  We'll see.  Perhaps it will be be halfway light by 5 pm. and mother nature will take pity on me and not dump rain until after I get home.

Driving isn't one of my favorite activities anymore. Hasn't been for a long time. I can arrange my life around the daylight hours to overcome the night vision problem but lately I've found my legs get terribly uncomfortable being in a car for an hour or more.  I'm not having a good "leg week" right now. I'm never sure what causes me to be halfway crippled one week and stronger and healthier the next.  I do know that one of my "failings" is that I worry too much.  I know better and I try to get on a more positive line of thinking but alas, I'm doomsville Nellie most of the time.

I've been walking over to Jenni's five mornings a week to pick up Sammy, and even though it's only twenty minutes round trip, my body is still fighting me every single morning and I struggle to get back home.  It's either sciatica or arthritis or both.  Maybe a pinched nerve, maybe complications from diabetes. (this is what I do--go on the computer and research my pain until I've got myself convinced I'm in my last days.)  I haven't actually been diagnosed with diabetes yet but I'm probably close to pre-diabetes when I think about the lousy eating habits I have.

I've got some medical appts set up for November and December to get a pap, mammogram, bone density, and lab work done.  Once I go to the doctor to discuss the results of these various tests, I think I'll pursue trying to get to the bottom of these leg issues.  When I think back on how long I've tolerated not being able to stand or walk for any length of time, I realize it's been several years.

You can compensate for a lot of discomfort when you're retired and can pick and choose your activities and where you go, but I'm getting to the point now where I'm depressed that I can't get out and do the things I want to.  Even simple things like walks, shopping, driving, and working in the yard and garden.  They say exercise outside is necessary for good mental health. I believe that.

I think I'm gonna have to go grocery shopping tomorrow.  My list of things I'm out of is growing quickly.  Hate it when I have to add bar soap, dish soap, toilet paper, paper towels, waxed paper, tin foil and then start on stuff like juice, eggs, margarine, etc.  I probably should make a Thanksgiving dinner list while I'm at it. Groan...this is not going to be a fun trip. Maybe I'll wait until the twins get home and make them go with me. At least it's a little easier having them retrieve items off the shelves and unload the cart.

I spent a couple of hours sewing this afternoon. Made three pot holders, three aprons, and one quilt square.  The morning was spent cleaning up "lists."  Phone numbers, address lists, password lists, and class address lists.   Always amazes me how many changes are necessary once I decide to update.

Tomorrow I might rearrange and tidy up the spare bedroom. I wish I had a curtain rod on the window. Drapes always soften the look of a room.  The only other project I have in the works right now is sewing quilt squares.  I like being able to fall back on that activity. Since the pieces are already cut out, it means I can sit and sew while listening to an audio book.

About time I started thinking of another Leader blog subject too.  Hmmmmm...

Maddie informed me tonight that she was praised by her teacher for knowing the meaning of a word in class today.  She said she knew it because she read it on my blog.  My work here is done.

And here's Tom and Tina.  I wish I had her voice and legs and his shoes under my bed.


2 comments:

  1. I bet there is a senior citizen out there who would love to put his shoes under your bed and he might actually help you to get to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now who would write this?! Ha Ha Ha I've got several people in mind.

    ReplyDelete