My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Saturday morning in P.A.

7:45 a.m. and here I sit in my favorite spot with coffee cup in hand.  Washing machine is churning away and when I finish here, I intend to get the one chore off my list that I hate the most--cleaning the oven.  I thought my range was a self-cleaning so I got out the instruction book to read up on how the settings work.  I've been cleaning it by myself because I don't usually like to use the self-clean button. Not sure why.  Anyhow, that's beside the point because I just figured out my booklet is for the "other" stove. The one I gave Jenni.  It was like brand new and a really nice one (Joe had bought it for me for Christmas I think) and I didn't want to leave it in the mobile home in Sequim so we took Jenni's older range and traded it with my gift range.

While basting the turkey on Thursday, I kept losing control of the baster and was squirting juice on the back of the oven wall before I could get it on the bird.  You'd think after all these years I could master a baster, for crying out loud!  Not sure what my problem was. Anyhow, Hunter baked chocolate chip cookies yesterday and the oven smell was not the pleasant one of cookies but burnt turkey basting so I put it on my "to-do list" today.

Hunter was such a huge help yesterday.  He hung Christmas lights on the front porch and the trees in the backyard. Also discovered I hadn't put on the styrofoam faucet covers correctly and fixed my handiwork for me. 



If you look close at the window on this shot, you can see Sammy's eyes staring out at us. I would have liked to have brought him outside but he can't be trusted to stay out of the street. We did let him in the backyard when we worked there and he was very interested in the new holes exposed when I rearranged my rock garden rocks when I discovered they weren't going to hold my bird feeders the way I wanted them to.

Catie came over for a while in the afternoon as she needed to retrieve some wrapped Xmas gifts for me to take back to Renton.  We'll probably go to Mary and Andy's next month although I've already announced I'm staying home if the roads are icy or snowy. I don't need the added stress of that!  All three kids helped me plant a couple of small trees in the front, and I was thrilled.

The only thing I see when I look out my one front window is this little tree I put there in the summer.  I kept watching it and it kept turning brown. I was pretty sure it was one of those trees that stayed green, or was at least supposed to stay green! I didn't see how it could have died as I babied it along.
Anyhow, we ran over to the Airport Nursery and I picked up a couple of small trees that the guy said would transplant nicely this time of year.

 I wonder if this one is planted too close to the curb. Wanted to use the hole that was already there but I may have to move it a tad come spring time. Catie went to so much trouble to enlarge the hole for me and pulled out that huge rock on the left.
I took this picture of them when we were all done.

Well, I'd best get busy around here. Once I finish the oven and put clean sheets on the bed, all the other chores are computer or paper related.  (My favorite kind of toil)

No comments:

Post a Comment