My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Gramma's Got a Scanner

We had a little bit of excitement in the neighborhood yesterday. It was raining when I expected the kids home so I decided to drive over to the bus stop and pick them up.  It's hit or miss if I find them, though. Sometimes Maddie goes to a friend's house or one or the other will decide to not take the bus. Yesterday was one of those where I missed them.  Anyhow, as I was backing out of the garage, I noticed a police car at the end of the street kind of half blocking the road with lights on. He was standing outside the car and watched me closely.  Hmmmm...

When I returned to the house, he watched me pull into the garage again.  Wasn't long before the kids came in, eyes wide, and wondering what was happening.  They were questioned as to where they were going and they pointed to Gramma's house two houses down.  He told them to hurry along and stay inside.  Hunter remembered that "Gramma had a scanner" so we turned it on so we could tune in.  Just your run-of-the-mill fugitive climbing fences and running through the trees trying to avoid the cops.  Still, it was kind of fun while it lasted.

And now ....  on to my regular life... yes, it's just the same ole stuff....

I baked a batch of blackberry muffins and made a tour of Goodwill and Serenity House.  Goodwill was a little more interesting than usual; they must have just got in a load of merchandise.  I picked up this rhino for a spot under my houseplants in the living room.  A silly purchase, I suppose, but it was only a dollar and I thought he was cute.

At Serenity House, I spotted this shower chair outside in the rain and thought it might be the ideal height and size to use in the yard for sitting down to weed and do flower planting.


It was a little higher in price than usual Serenity House items are and I asked the manager if she would lower the price a little.  She said no which of course, irked me considering how much money I spend at that place.  But oh well, I guess the world doesn't revolve around me, after all.  Jenni laughed when she saw it. Asked me why I didn't just use the portable potty they have up in their garage attic (I insisted they keep it for me after dad died as I figured I might need it myself someday).
She thought using a toilet in the yard would be hilarious and she about wet her pants laughing over it.
That got us talking about other bathroom stories.

She said:  I still remember the morning I picked you up to take you to the hospital for your colonosocopy.  I thought it was so appropriate that you were dressed from head to toe in brown!

My toilets here are the modern water saving type and one thing I hate about them is that they get plugged up all the time.  Especially in rainy weather.  I've got a plunger by both toilets and they get called into service a lot.  Hunter commented that Gramma Kathy is going to get a toilet that is built to be clog free.  He insists, however, that he'll prove that wrong.

I never did get outside to work in the dirt yesterday, but I did transplant a house plant.  From the looks of the weather today, I think it will be another day of sewing inside.  I got three different applique projects cut out and ironed and today I'll sew the pieces down and try to arrange in a wall hanging.  I wish I could figure out what to do with all these masterpieces I'm accumulating. I'm thinking of just mailing them off to various friends and making them take them whether they like it or not.  I bet I've got well over a dozen to unload.

 A couple of days ago, Hunter wanted to use my ladder to see if there were any balls in the eave over the garage. Much to his surprise, there were several along with a lot of badminton birdies.  Also in the mix was this red thingie.  He was afraid to touch it. At first I thought it was a bunch of radishes that had gone to seed.  Very gross. It was an old red koosh ball type toy of Maddie's.  It went to the trash bin.




 
Library just sent me an email that a book I wanted has come in.  I love that you can order most anything if it's not in their catalog. They open in an hour so I'll go up and browse around for a bit. Look over the Leader, and see if I can find a couple movies too.

Oh swell!  There's that stupid commerical AGAIN of the guy who suffered from shingles.  I'm really sick and tired of hearing that.  Obviously, the drug company pushing that shot has money to burn for tv scare ads.  And those shots aren't cheap either!  Most commericals get under my skin early but every now and then, one comes along that I find myself watching repeatedly.  Like the Subaru ad of the father handing over the car keys to his teenage daughter for the first time and how he's looking in the car window giving her last minute instructions and seeing her as a five-year-old.  I'm betting a lot of parents identify with that scenerio.

I'm going to have to read up on the birds some more. There are dozens of them swooping and flying across the street over the scotch broom patch.  Must be play time or they're looking for food. I should stand by the window with my camera as my hummingbird often zooms around this time too.

Okay, that does it for this Wednesday morning.  Think I'll zip over to YouTube and see what I can find to post.  Hmmm...this was cool..

No comments:

Post a Comment