My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Sorting pictures

Another pretty day.  The temperature did say 37 early this morning, however, and the backyard looked pretty darn frosty.  I don't have any errands today but do intend to get some bike riding in...at least around the neighborhood.  Blogger has a new format for posting but I can't see that it's all that different. They just moved things around. And I still don't see options for putting in symbols like the "degree" circle up above. 

I'm going to put some time into sorting my pictures again. I've got so many folders and subfolders, I still spend way too much time looking for something in particular. I'm also going to sit down in the living room and read.  Brought out three of the books I have by my bed hoping I can establish a habit of reading during daylight hours instead of waiting until bedtime when I usually nod off before I've read half a dozen pages.

Two of the books I picked up yesterday at the library. The first one is called 'What the dog saw' by Malcolm Gladwell.  Articles he wrote for the New Yorker Magazine.  The other is called 'Unnecessary Talking' by Mike O'Connor.  Short stories about his life in Montesano.  I'm close to finishing up Bob Greene's book called 'Fraternity' about when he interviewed five past Presidents. Interesting because he asks off the wall questions; not the usual fare you read about foreign policies and economy and such.

Looked over the TV lineup for today and tonight and didn't find anything of interest. I think I will tape Saturday Night Live, though. I don't usually watch it but I am amused by Sofia from 'Modern Family' and she's hosting. I came across Betty White's show called 'Off Their Rocker' the other night and it was kind of fun.

Yesterday afternoon the kids were on the computer so I sat down to knit and watch a movie. The skein of yarn I was working on was getting smaller so I decided to roll it into a ball.  I knew better too.  Every time I take on that chore, I end up spending hours trying to get the knots out.  I was determined not to cut the thread this time but consequently, I didn't get any knitting done and the ball is still not wound all the way yet.  Little aggravations of life to keep things interesting.

I streamed in 'War  Horse' from Amazon but can't say that I thought it was all that great.  Certainly didn't deserve a nomination for Best Movie from the Oscars.  Too slow moving. I don't know what I expect from my movies anymore.  I used to be happy with just about anything I watched. Not these days, though.  Maybe it's my age.  Maybe it's my level of concentration or maybe I just plain know what is good and what is mediocre.

I did go online to search the 1940 census again.  Found my Grandpa, dad and Uncle Jim the first time (plus all the neighbors they had) so yesterday I decided to hunt for my mom's family out on Center Valley Road in Chimacum.  Jim, her oldest brother, was probably away at college or something as he wasn't there but two lodgers were...young girls aged 12 and 11. One was named Mary Tyler and the other was Gloria Ross.  Now I have to figure out why they were there in 1940.  Farm hands? Foster kids?  I may call my mother in Pennsylvania to see if she recalls but her memory is slipping a lot so I'm not expecting much.  I do recall her mentioning Mary Tyler, though.  A mystery for me to explore. Just what I love.

Well, just got off the phone with my mother. Her granddaughter says she doesn't remember a lot of things but she does talk about her childhood more than anything else.  Mother said Mary and Gloria were welfare kids.  Meaning foster kids today, I guess.  I do remember reading in the old Leaders I was browsing through on microfilm that there were stories about the need for helping welfare kids. My mother said she remained friends with Mary who I later located in Spokane (she's since died) and that Mary's mother took off.  She didn't have much to say about Gloria except she stole things.  hmmmm.....

The census records aren't that easy to navigate, by the way.  If you take your time, though, you can see quite a bit.  I read they need help with getting it ready to view publicly.  I wonder if I could do that. Maybe I'll check into it.  That's just the type of activity that I enjoy.

Well, guess I'll pour myself another cup of coffee and get to work on those pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment