My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas baking

There used to be a time when I put a lot effort into making my Christmas cookie packages for people.  I also used to spend a lot of time addressing cards, writing a letter, shopping, wrapping, making gifts, going to parties, and fixing a big dinner.  Most of those activities have gone by the wayside.

I made three new recipes that I saw on Facebook. The Nutella brownies turned out okay, and the lemon fudge looks okay too (except I had to cut the pieces small as it's way too rich in my opinion.  Pretty, though.  I remember now why I don't make divinity often.  It's too hard and mine never turn out right.
They taste just fine but they're not supposed to look flat like this.  I even went to the trouble of scooping up each one and putting them on parchment paper and setting it out in the garage where it was cold.  The scooped up candy looked fine but when I checked on it a few hours later, it went flat too.  Seems a shame to toss them in the trash but that's where they're going.  I don't see how I can package them as gifts.

The recipe was pretty easy. You made it in the microwave and then poured the mixture over beaten egg whites.  I assume I didn't beat the eggs whites long enough or the final mixture long enough.  The bowl was getting heavy and I wanted to sit down.  Probably would have worked better if I had one of those fancy wancy electric mixers that stand alone.  Dad had one when I was growing up and we used it all the time.  When I got married, I got 7 hand mixers as gifts-- and not one toaster.  Ha!

I decided to clean the kitchen after supper tonight.  Some times I'm too tired and let it go until morning. Kind of nice knowing I can get up and not have to wash dishes.  Well, it's almost time for Wheel of Fortune so I think I'll get my jammies on and settle in with my knitting needles so I can play the granny that I've now become.

I sent my brother, Les, a scratch ticket in his Xmas card and he won $50 on it.  He sent me a mega ticket in return and another scratch ticket.  The scratch didn't win but wouldn't it be something if the mega hit?
I wouldn't mess around with buying fancy cars and boats, though.  My plan is to give it all away --mostly to family, friends, charities, and Jefferson and Clallam County organizations that need help.
I'd also get my teeth fixed, hire a cook and a driver, buy a house on the beach, and a good bra!

No comments:

Post a Comment