My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, December 22, 2013

Saying goodbye...

Mary Norton and I drove into Port Townsend yesterday.  She went to a Christmas party at Victoria House where her aunt lives.  I went to the Lutheran Church to attend a funeral.

Judy Howe lived at the Discovery View Assisted Living Apts where my folks did so I would see her from time to time when I stopped in there.  Even though we weren't particularly close in our adult lives, I still remember fondly playing together as children. Below is a photo of two of her sisters, two of her four children, and two nephews.
I woke up feeling kind of punky but decided to drive into town anyway and wait for the queasiness to pass.  I was certainly preoccupied most of the time.  As I was preparing to drop Mary off at Victoria House on Discovery Road, I flew right on by thinking it was down on San Juan Avenue.  Once I thought about it, of course, I realized my mistake.  After the funeral, I was trying to decide the quickest way to go back to Victoria House and pick up Mary.  I chose the route  by Del's Grocery and proceeded out San Juan Avenue AGAIN!  As soon as I was preparing to turn into San Juan Villa (or whatever it's called) I remembered that Victoria House was up on Discovery Road.

It makes me very nervous when my memory goes off on its own little trips.  I suspect because I take the
temporary memory loss as an indication of what's to come.  As people are living longer these days, I think we've all become aware of the various afflictions that can befall us if we live long enough.  Dementia and Alzheimers is becoming commonplace, and I don't have any doubts that I'll be dealing with it.  Or....my kids will be dealing with it. I'm sure I won't be aware of it.  Sigh....

Right now, though, I'm dealing with a body that is sore and achy most of the time.  I did my exercises this morning and it was just as if it was the first  time I've ever gotten on that blasted exercise bike.  I know I'm 70 and obese but gees, you'd think it would be a little easier by this time.  I put in a half hour, did some others on my bed, and will ride again during the Seahawks game.

It could just be that I'm still under the weather a little.  It was so dark, gloomy, and rainy after the funeral that Mary and I decided to just come on home instead of making a couple of stops in Hadlock.
I stopped at Safeway in PA to pick up some Chinese food for supper because I knew I didn't want to cook anything --not even soup.  I ended up going to bed at 6 pm!  And I stayed there for 12 hours too.
I absolutely refuse to have a bug right now.  I have plans.

Here's a picture of Judy Howe from her funeral program.  To me, though, she'll always be Judy Bare.
My sister and Clarence Lammers came by with KFC day before yesterday so we exchanged presents after chowing down on chicken with potatoes, gravy, and biscuits.


Here's a picture of Mary and her aunt..

And here's the puzzle I recently completed of downtown NYC.
Saw some cute cartoons on facebook yesterday.  This was one of my favorites....


No comments:

Post a Comment