My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, December 13, 2013

Friday afternoon

It's 3 p.m. and I managed to get quite a bit accomplished today.  And that makes me happy!  I finished sewing all the gifts I planned to give for Christmas and cleaned up that sewing corner of the kitchen so it's nice and tidy again.  Got all my housework done and went to the doctor to check out the black thingie on my knee.

Much to my relief, it's just dried up blood that needed to be let loose. Once he squeezed it, this dark red blood came out and he bandaged it and I was good to go.  Had I known for sure that was what it was, I could have popped it myself but it was red around the outside edges, swollen, very black, and since I've had more than one knee episode this year, I wasn't willing to diagnose myself.

I left there and returned some books to the library.  The gift shop was closed so I checked out three biographies inside the library....Mickey Rooney, Tyrone Power, and Sissy Spacek.  Once I prepared to leave, the library gift shop was being opened so I stopped to help the lady push book cases out into the hall and then I browsed some more.  Only spent $5 but am real pleased with what I got.

I was hungry by this time as I hadn't had breakfast so I stopped at McDonalds and got a happy meal.  Went over to the mall nearby and browsed through Radio Shack and Big Lots.  Spent $6 at Big Lots and then went to the bread store where I got some more Christmas gifts -- plus two free items.  The free shelf was picked over pretty good but I got two 12-each packages of hamburger buns.  Took one package next door to the grocery store where Sue works and bought a mega ticket while I was there.

The lady in front of me was buying a carton of cigarettes.  They were called 1869 non filter and they cost $69!  She commented that this was the cheapest place in town and that these ten packs would last her a month.  Man oh man, am I glad I kicked the nicotine habit.  Now if I could conquer carbs and sweets, I'd be sittin' pretty.

I left there and stopped at a hobby shop downtown to see if I could find a gift for Hunter.  I should have known that model kits have gone up in price like everything else.  They were running $25 to $50.  I wasn't about to pay that since I wasn't even sure he liked to put together models anymore.  I know he doesn't have any room in his bedroom to display them.  I was getting tired by this time so I decided to come home and search again online.

I was out in the garage looking for boxes and came across four old board games.  Since they're all in pretty good shape, I debated about using them for Christmas presents but it's hard to know who would appreciate them.
One is an old Cootie game I used to play as a child and one is called Millionaire and is based in Port Townsend.  The other two are monopoly games --one of Seattle and one of Port Townsend.  I saw the PT monopoly game in the puzzle store downtown yesterday and it was selling for $15.



The more I look over the two PT board games, the more I think I should probably hang on to them.  I bet they'll be a collector's item one day.  They're probably a collector's item now.

Found a penny outside of McDonalds. (line was too long so I opted to go inside) Anyhow, I always pick up pennies as I've decided they're good luck.  I was planning on buying a mega ticket later and I needed all the luck I could get.  By the way, Mary N. told me yesterday that 2012 pennies that have the shield on the back that reads 'E Pluribus Unum' are already worth 3 cents to collectors.  She knows a guy who works for the place that mints coins.  Apparently when these coins were made, our economy was in the toilet and people were turning in their coins more than usual.  They had such a run on pennies that they quit making this new penny and now they're kind of hard to find.

Unless I get a second wind, I think I'll put off my wrapping until tomorrow.  Sometimes wrapping can wear you out and I already feel like I'm overdue for a nap.  Looking gray outside so I suppose it's gonna rain soon. Fine with me.

One of my favorite Christmas albums is by the Four Seasons.  Here's a cut from that record...


No comments:

Post a Comment